Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Beginning my RC hobby!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 08:08 AM
Hemi6677

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginning my RC hobby!

Lets see, where to begin?

Although I'm new to RC car's I have been active in racing for 23 years. Go-karts, TQ Midgets, Mini-Sprints, and full size sprintcars. At the end of this racing season I'm going to be retiring from most racing activities so I need a new hobby and I figured racing RC cars would be fun.

For the last couple of weeks I have been looking at the various trucks/cars and styles that are on the market. Well luckily for me a friend new another friend that wanted to get rid of his RC inventory so I ended up buying a used Losi XXX-T, Losi XXX-NT, and Bolink Legend with TONS of spare parts and accessories. The XXX-T is fully assembled and ready to run, the XXX-NT is 90% assembled and just needs the front end put together (which I have the parts for), and the Legend needs a motor and electronics. Along with the cars I got a nice controller, starter box for the NT, 7 sets of various styles of tires, 3 extra electric motors, tons of spare parts for the XXX's, and much more stuff then I know what to do with. All of this for $200.00. I think these trucks will be good for me to learn with until I can buy a new car and go modification crazy on it.

A couple of questions I do have though. I'm wanting to get electronics and controllers for all three cars. At the moment I only have the one controller to swap between the three. What are people recommendations on controllers/electronics that don't cost an arm and a leg but work effectively? Also, to order spare parts and hop-ups for my XXX's, what are peoples recommendations for websites/companies to order these parts from? I plan on redoing the XXX-NT with lighter/stronger suspension parts and chassis components.

I'll definitely be reading all posts related to these cars that I can find but any recommendations and suggestions will be appreciated! I'll be taking pictures of the cars soon so people can see what I have and make recommendations of those.

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-29-2006, 08:28 AM
Wide Open

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Beginning my RC hobby!

for spare parts for the xxx's a good site is http://www.horizonhobby.com/

as far as the radio goes, you obviously want one radio for all the cars. personally i like futaba, and ill recommend two, one will be a two channel, and one will be a three channel. the 2 channel only controls trottle/brake and steering, while the three channel will give you the options of reverse if you get a more advanced car in the future.

this one is the 2 channel. its not available right now, but should come into stock soon and it has a ten model memory
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXNHS1**&P=0

this is the three channel. the 3rd channel can be used for whatever you want, but most often its used for reverse on cars that have that option. it also has a ten model memory
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXGAG2**&P=0