Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

winter break in

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 09:23 PM
electricrustler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default winter break in

i just wanted to know if i can break in a nitro in the winter i'm gettin a nitro evader for christmas it will be 15- to 25- celsius
Old 09-28-2006, 12:40 AM
KillerKiwi
Banned

Default RE: winter break in

You need to keep your fuel and engine warm, wrap aluminum foil around the cooling tower and stick a heat packet in the top of it, then stick a few around the engine and a few around the fuel tank.

[link=http://www.adorama.com/PBPHP1.html?sid=11594200423499016]Air Activated Chemical Hand & Equipment Warmers, Pack of Two.[/link] I think these would be appropriate, they are designed for keeping photography equipment warm when people climb mountains to take pictures, the packets reach 130 deg. F and last 6 hours. Your engine will think it's in Hawaii. 130 degrees sounds like overkill but since it is cold out a lot of the heat will dissipate.

You might want to put a little plastic wrap around the receiver to keep it dry in the snow (if it's snowing).
Old 09-28-2006, 07:04 AM
Takedown
My Feedback: (23)

Or you can wrap a small towel aroung your engine cooling head then put aluminum foil wrap around it. also keep the fuel lines worm if any way possible just wrap the fual lines with that heat hand warmer stuff so that they wont crack and do the same with the tank.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:56 AM
WalawalaStore

Hi,

Before you start the engine, it is a good idea to heat up the heatsink with a hair dryer or heat gun.

Regards

Joaquim
Old 09-29-2006, 04:43 AM
KillerKiwi
Banned

ORIGINAL: Takedown

Or you can wrap a small towel aroung your engine cooling head then put aluminum foil wrap around it. also keep the fuel lines worm if any way possible just wrap the fual lines with that heat hand warmer stuff so that they wont crack and do the same with the tank.
That's exactly what I said.

It is most important to keep the fuel warm so it doesn't gel up.
Old 09-29-2006, 07:40 AM
GYNAIKAS

My opinion is that you should do your static break in indoors.If you have a garage or something slightly open a small window for ventilation,turn on the heating system so you wont freeze and finally start the break in.After you run 2-3 tanks static (the wheels dont touch the ground and the engine runs at idle till the tank empties then repeat process) you'll have to to the running break in. Then you can use what the boys have mentioned...rub the silicone tubes with preheated (in the oven at 40 degrees or with a hairdryer) aluminium paper. Start the engine indoors till it gets hot (hairdryer would also help) and while running outdours increase the idle a little bit so the engine keeps a higher temperature. I hope you'll not have any problems though.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:55 PM
KillerKiwi
Banned

That would be very very smelly.