Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Fuel Delivery Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 12:39 AM
abjones413

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Delivery Problem

I just got my Redcat Racing Volcano SV today. Upon preparing for break-in I checked all the screws for tightness, LocTited the metal to metal threads, marked the flywheel for BDC, installed my fuel filter/primer unit, oiled my air filter and gassed her up. When I tried to prime the carb by squeezing the bulb no gas (barely a drop) flowed through the line. I even tried the method of puting a finger over the exhaust stinger like the guy at my LHS told me about. I got just enough fuel in there to allow it to start for a brief moment, but then it stalled because I didn't have the throttle trim adjusted properly and it tried to get away from me. It actually did this three times, now it won't start at all. I went as far as to try to syphon fuel directly from the tank with my mouth and it was VERY hard to suck through the hose. I checked the fitting and fuel line attached to the fuel tank and it was clear. Could there be something blocking the tube in the fuel tank? Any tips, tricks or advice would be great.
Oh, and I thought the glow plug may have been an issue so I took it out and attached it to the igniter and the coil lit up fine.

Also, the manual is quite vague as far as carb settings (and a lot of other maintenance points) are concerned. What are the factory needle settings supposed to be on a VX 18 engine as far as turns out from the fully closed positions?

Thanks, Brandon
Old 10-03-2006, 03:53 AM
WalawalaStore

Default RE: Fuel Delivery Problem

Hi,

In nitro r/c cars, fuel is pumped to the engine through the fuel tank by means of exhaust gas. If you have tried to cover the exhaust stinger and it worked in pumping, I assume there are no leaks on your fuel tank and silicone pipes. As you said, the glow plug is good.

Try to open up the idle to 1mm gap and try again. Engine won't start and flame out will always upset you.

If you have not touched the needles on the carb, try to lean (turn in) both by 1/2 turn for a start, most factory settings are rubbish, too rich causing no start, flame out and a big torture to conrod.

Goodluck

Joaquim
Old 10-03-2006, 05:22 AM
AcEmAsTr

I find taking the exhaust tubing off and blowing down that gets it moving without problems, blow until it gets to the carb and it fires right up.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:11 AM
Wide Open

actually, i have a feeling his low end might be set TOO lean. i had the exact same problem once and i had to reset it to the facotory defaults because it did not come that way. look in your manual on how many turns out it needs to be, turn the low end mixture needle all the way in (without tightening, just until it stops) and then back it out that number of turns. then try it again and get back to us!
Old 10-03-2006, 09:27 AM
abjones413

Wow, you guys aren't going to believe this. The tube in the tank leading to the fitting and fuel line was not properly drilled or bored out, however you want to put it![:@] Thank God I'm not a dumb ***** and own a Dremel! lol
I took a cut-off wheel and eliminated the elbow. I threaded the fitting back into the freshly cut hole and reassembled my truck. Funny thing how you need to remove the whole upper plate to get the TWO screws holding the tank on! If you never counted them, there are 16 screws that need removing, along with disconnecting the throttle/brake servo arm and fuel lines and such. They must have either not aligned the tube correctly or didn't drill/bore it all the way to the elbow, seeing that's where the blockage was.
Oh well, I guess it was for the best that I got to take it apart a bit and find out where some things belong and how they work. Enough typing already, I'm gonna fuel up and break this bad boy in!
I'll reply to this later to tell you how I made out. It should fire right up now.

Thank you to all who replied to my problem!

Brandon
Old 10-03-2006, 11:41 AM
WalawalaStore

Brandon,

Glad to hear that! Fire it up! Really never heard silicone pipe problem like yours.[:-]

Regards

Joaquim
Old 10-03-2006, 06:20 PM
abjones413

All I have to say is this thing is CRAZY! I'm pretty much done with the break-in, but I'm still going to take it easy (ya right!) for a few more tanks. I took my time with it and got everything adjusted nicely, aside from the HSN, seeing I didn't really get on it. I did a few full throttles, but just for short sprints. My neighbors were really into it. They were all saying how cool and crazy it is. Wait till I get on it, and rip up their yards! LoL

I didn't realize how quickly this baby would blow through fuel, AND eat batteries! I guess the fuel issue isn't that bad, seeing I'm really enjoying myself while burning it up. I get Traxxas Top Fuel 20% nitro at my LHS for $29.99 (10% nitro is only $15, but I don't think I should use less than 20%), which seems a bit steep, but like I said, it's great fun. I also replaced the stock plug with an O.S. A3. I'm up in Massachusetts, so that's perfect for this time of year seeing it's getting a bit chilly. The dude at Redcat Racing support said an O.S. #8 would be perfect for like 75-85 degrees.

I am going to pick up a couple sets of NiMh batts for the car. All that servo action does a number on batts. She got away from me once at pretty good speed. Fortunately I was able to turn the wheels in time to make it spin out of control rather than hit the rock wall it just missed! There's not much strain on the batts in the transmitter. What do you guys do/recommend for batts?

Any other comments or suggestions for a brand-newbie would be great. I've been reading articles and forums on this site for over a week before I even got the truck, so I think I have a grasp on most stuff. Just let me know if there's any surprises I should expect from this beast! LoL

Brandon