Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Threadlocking the engine mount screws...

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 06:07 PM
mhovanes21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Threadlocking the engine mount screws...

This may be a stupid question, but I suspect that somebody has come with an easier way of doing this. I replaced my spur gear yesterday and readjusted the gear mesh by loosening up the engine mount screws. Got that squared away and then I removed each screw individually to apply the thread lock.

The front 2 screws went back in with no problems. The rear screws, however, where a total pain in the @$$. By the time I was able to fish the screw down through the skid plate and into the hole, I'm sure the thread-lock had either dried up or removed by rolling around on the bottom of the engine plate.

Besides finding a magnetic hex key, anyone know a better way to get these screws back in?
Old 10-23-2006, 07:07 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Threadlocking the engine mount screws...

put a piece of notebook paper into the head of the screw, and push your hex driver into that. that usually keeps the screw on the end of the driver no problem.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:42 PM
alvinl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, if you are using the liquid threadloc, try the stick. It stays on the threads better and does not make as much of a mess.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:48 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

the stick rules!
Old 10-23-2006, 08:15 PM
46u

Take a piece of tape double it over so it has sticky on both sides and put in the head of the hex bolt and put the wrench in.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:16 PM
TheOtherSide

Not everyone has access to it... but I use Wurth thread locker.... it's nice and thick.... doesn't run all around. Excellent quality stuff made in Germany. Not sold on a retail level.... but you may be able to buy some off your local VW dealer or repair shop if they use that stuff.

I haven't had trouble keeping the screw on the driver... I put my savage up on end so I'm installing the screws horizontally... they don't fall off the driver for me.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:23 PM
TheOtherSide

Maybe I should buy a few tubes of the Wurth stuff and sell it to whomever is interested.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:07 PM
SpeedAddict

I just dipped the threads of mine in the liquid and held the head of the screw with my fingers and got it started by hand. Then i just pop the hex driver on and screw it in.

Your threadlocker sounds like it dries faster than mine too.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:10 PM
mhovanes21

thanks for the ideas. I just read another post about using red threadlock.....looks like I'm screwed the next time I strip my spur gear. [&:]
Old 10-24-2006, 04:41 PM
Chronic

Grab one of those little cheap butane powered pencil tip torches. I got mine from a gas station a few years ago for like $5. Heat will let you easily remove the red threadlocker, and with the little torch it's easy to concentrate the heat where you need it. I don't use red locktite on my RCs, but I do use it quite a bit on other stuff and those little torches make disassembly alot easier.
Old 10-24-2006, 05:07 PM
brownstone101

i dont use threadlock. i use locking washers. i like them better.
A. keeps the button screw off the alumnum
B. keeps the motor from moveing in a tuble cause the little tooth on the washer bites into the alumnum.
C. the screw wont come out after being cranked down snug and there .5 centse but if u know the guy at the hardwere store FREE[&:]
Old 10-25-2006, 12:24 PM
Gravrober

Same. lock washers are the best way to go. also you don't have to worry about that crap getting stuck in the threads. the only things I loctite are the grub screws in my cvd's and the drive cups. I use the red stick form as it don't seem to lock the screws in so hard that I cant get them back out to take the stuff apart if I need to, no heat required.
Old 10-25-2006, 01:30 PM
brownstone101

yup me 2. i locktight very important screws but the lock washer alows better surface area and alot better holding than with out.

ORIGINAL: Gravrober

Same. lock washers are the best way to go. also you don't have to worry about that crap getting stuck in the threads. the only things I loctite are the grub screws in my cvd's and the drive cups. I use the red stick form as it don't seem to lock the screws in so hard that I cant get them back out to take the stuff apart if I need to, no heat required.