Carden Aircraft Post threads here related to the Carden Aircraft line

Counterweights in tail???????

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 10:01 PM
Ricmussman
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Counterweights in tail???????

I am currently beveling and hinging my tail surfaces on my 40% Extra 330. I am curious if anyone has ever put weights in the counter balances of their Carden? Thay is why they are there. It would make sense to go ahead and balance the surfaces when building this thing. Just wondering if anyone has done it.

Ric
Old 10-27-2006, 04:47 AM
crfabbro
My Feedback: (56)

Default RE: Counterweights in tail???????

I did them after the fact on my 40% Carden 330 to solve a flutter problem- it worked! I was also
only running one servo per elevator. chris
Old 10-28-2006, 05:43 PM
OnTheEdge

Default RE: Counterweights in tail???????

My 330 has them. That plane is a few years old and was using only one 8411 per elevator so it might have been necessary (it was like that when I bought it used). I was contemplating doing it in my Yak but I figure I'd do it if I felt the need. Running one 8611A per half and I don't have the need.

Just be careful as you can add tail weight here as well as putting more mass further out from the centerline which could slow down snaps and/or make them harder to stop. I'd try it with out and add the counterweights later if needed.

........Mark