Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Painting a glassed plane

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 03:52 PM
Hornet1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Painting a glassed plane

I'm ready to paint my glassed plane (30% C150) and was wondering if I was safe to use Krylon spray paint. I don't have a compressor therefore it will be done using spray cans. Any thoughts?

Many thanks.
Old 03-11-2006, 03:56 PM
Bob_S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Painting a glassed plane

I've done it before. Just make sure you bondo up all of the pinholes first and apply light coats. The primer layer will expose missed pinholes.
Old 03-11-2006, 07:10 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It really doesn't matter much what paint you use as long as the fiberglass surface is properly prepared.

Use a Scotchbrite pad or double O steel wool to knoch the shine/glaze off of the surface of the glass.

Wash the 'glass thoroughly with a light solution of dish soap and warm water.

Wipe dry with a lint free cloth.

Wipe once more with rubbing alcohol to be certin that all the PVA release agents and finger print oils are gone.

Use a light coat of primer that is compatable with the desired paint to fill imperfections.

Color sand the primer with 1,200 to 2,000 grit wet or dry paper to hide any blemishes.

Repeat the cleaning steps again.

Apply another light coat of primer.

Let it dry completely, wipe it all down with a clean tack cloth and apply the color coat.

I know in all sounds like a P.I.T.A. but the painting is the easy part. The prep is what makes the finish.
Old 03-11-2006, 08:12 PM
Bud Faulkner
My Feedback: (1)

I used to use spackling paste to fill the pinholes in my sailplanes,works great. As far as having to use spray cans krylon is one of the best in my opinion.

Bud
Old 10-30-2006, 11:09 PM
Loctite

I have a question of paint compatability. I am painting my glassed Topflight Gold Edition P-40 in the camoflaged scheme. (Grey bottom, tan base coat with green camo) The instructions with the plane give the Federal Standard numbers for the paints. When I do a Google search for the Federal Standard number.......I come up with Testors Model Master Acrylic paints. Nobody at Tower Hobbies knows which primer to use with this paint. Nor do they know what Satin clear coat to spray over that. I have got my colors on the way (which I plan on using an airbrush for) Do you know what I need to do here or do you know someone who could point me in the right direction?? Thank you, Rob [email protected]
Old 10-31-2006, 01:21 AM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What I did with my Top Flite Spitfire was to take color samples down to the local paint store and had a quart of each of the three major colors mixed in exterior latex paint. I diluted them with water and sprayed the entire plane using my Aztec air brush. I used Model Masters and Hubrol paints for markings and weathering, and used water based Varathane Diamond Spar Urethane in a spray can for clearcoat. Oh, I should also mention that I used Duplicolor High build and regular primers bought from the local auto parts store.

Scott