Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Fuel/Oil ratio

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 08:01 PM
HangerBum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel/Oil ratio

Every engine I have (zdz, 3W, Ryobi and DA) has a different recommendation for the fuel oil mix ratios, although DA seems to have a larger selection of acceptable fuel oil mixes. example ZDZ 40:1 Mobil Syn, DA anywhere from 100:1 Amsoil to 40:1 Mobil, I'm not sure about my unused 3W just yet, but I suspect it's like the DA. So the question, aside from each engine manufacturer having their own favorites, can I run anything I want as long as I stick to the oil manufacturers recommended dilution ratio? I mean I would prefer to settle on one fuel mix for all my gassers.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:13 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Fuel/Oil ratio

The gas to oil ratio is not near as important as the fuel to air ratio. Too lean killls engines fast!! Capt,n
Old 11-11-2006, 10:47 PM
Balsa Steel
My Feedback: (3)

This thread should help you.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_48..._1/key_/tm.htm
Old 11-12-2006, 01:08 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Pennzoil 2 stroke air cooled oil at 32 or 40 to 1 will work very well in any gasser on the planet, and cannot possibly harm anything if the carb is properly adjusted....
Old 11-12-2006, 09:54 AM
H. Wayne S
My Feedback: (18)

I run Moble 2 stroke Syn 40:1 in all my engines, DA-100s, ZDZ 80s and 100s , 3W 157 and Zeoahs. I have never had a problem. I always break in with Pennzoil air cool 32:1 then switch to the Moble.
Can't affords to have 4 or 5 different gas cans.
Old 11-12-2006, 11:14 AM
captinjohn

RCIGN-1 is right about the Pennsoil. I have read what he says from several other engine folks. I am going to get some....TODAY...Like NOW....if I don,t forget!!!!!!!!! Capt,n
Old 11-12-2006, 03:07 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I bought a gallon jug of my favorite oil for $15. I mix 40:1 in all my gas engines.

I got sick of paying $2.50 per 3.2oz bottle. Sometimes the big box home center would even be out of my favorite oil. [] So, I'd have to use someone elses fuel or go home. Sometimes I had to buy a 16oz bottle because they were all out of the nifty 3.2oz bottle.

Just got tired of it and bought a gallon jug and a graduated cylinder for measuring purposes. Now I got enough oil for about 40 gallons of fuel and I won't run out. I'm gonna order another gallon when I get down to a quart.
Old 11-12-2006, 04:16 PM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

More oil=more power,,,, to a point, and a little more protection
This is based on an article, in a motorcicle magazine, which did the testing.
Old 11-12-2006, 05:01 PM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That was based on an article by Gordon Blair, using Yamaha engines. It also agrees with my own data, where 1:30 gives about best (lowest) fuel consumption.

Good oil is important. The better oils use high grade stock oils, and thus cannot be cheap. Oils in the less than $10/quart region enter the shady fields IMHO. These may be expensive savings in the end.
Old 11-12-2006, 05:35 PM
Rcpilot

ORIGINAL: pe reivers
Good oil is important. The better oils use high grade stock oils, and thus cannot be cheap. Oils in the less than $10/quart region enter the shady fields IMHO. These may be expensive savings in the end.
I agree with you that good oil is important. But, I don't think you can arbitrarily say that anything costing less than $10/quart is is "shady" .

I buy my oil from a very popular chainsaw manufacturer. We all know the beating chainsaws take on a daily basis for years and years of operation. Clogged air filters. Clogged cooling fins. Old, stale fuel. Poorly performing plugs. Those conditions would be considered sinfully abusive by most modelers if we treated our model engines in the same manner. I seriously doubt a chainsaw manufacturer would put their name on a bottle of oil and recommend it for use in their chainsaws if there was even a shadow of a doubt that it wouldn't provide excellent lubrication and cooling for thier engines under such extreme conditions.

Good oil--yes.
Expensive oil--not necessarily.

In all actuality, I'd bet a serious amount of money that even the cheapest 2-stroke oil you'd find on the bottom shelf at WalMart would provide adequate protection in any model engine. Think about the advancements in technology over the last 5 or 10 yrs. Even the cheapest oil from WalMart today is going to be 10 times or maybe 20 times better than the absolute BEST oil you could have bought from a dealer 10yrs ago. The oil and the base chemicals today offer so much greater protection than what was available 10 yrs ago.

I've sort of jokingly threatened to do this before, and I'm seriously thinking about not just joking anymore. I'd like to buy a DA50 and run it on the cheapest 2-stroke oil I can find at WalMart or K-Mart and show that it works just as good as any Super Duper Turbo Synthetic Turbo Prop Twister oil on the market today. Whats the worse thing that could happen? I'd have to send it to DA and find out how good their unbeatable service policies really are? I'm really not afraid to do it. Just need to scrape up the money to buy the DA someday. Wouldn't it be interesting to take the cylinder off every 5 gallons and photograph it? Use a different brand of cheap oil everytime I fill up at the pump? Buy any old 2-stroke oil off the shelf at the local Conoco station for $1.09?

I doubt the engine wouldn't wear any different than if I'd used any popular synthetic Turbo Prop Twister oil for $10 or $15/quart. In all likelyhood, the engine will meet the same death 95% of our hobby engines meet. A sudden impact with terra firma long before it even got close to being worn out from thousands of hours of use or even cheap oil.

Editud too koreekt sum spelinj mictakes [:-]

Old 11-12-2006, 08:21 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Old 11-12-2006, 08:34 PM
HangerBum

So the jist is, run a good quality oil, mixed to the oil manufacturers dilution recomendation and all is well.?.?.?

So i'm running my DA, 3W and ZDz on 40:1 Mobil syn and there will be no problem.......

Thanks for all the relies. 'preciate it.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:39 PM
Rcpilot

ORIGINAL: HangerBum

So the jist is, run a good quality oil, mixed to the oil manufacturers dilution recomendation and all is well.?.?.?

So i'm running my DA, 3W and ZDz on 40:1 Mobil syn and there will be no problem.......

Thanks for all the relies. 'preciate it.
Pretty much.

Pick one. Mix it according to the label on the oil bottle. Go fly.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:04 PM
captinjohn

I kinda agree with the use most any brand of oil if you like. The important thing is to make sure of not getting a lean run. Make sure all fuel is filtered good so carb does not get plugged up. Also make sure of good fuel line set-ups with no air leaks. Last, make sure of no air leaks in intake tract, and crank seals. Now....go fly some more...and more...and more. Capt,n
Old 11-12-2006, 09:59 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)