Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

So I'm hooked on gas engines, what's next?

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

So I'm hooked on gas engines, what's next?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 09:37 PM
Bosch232
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I'm hooked on gas engines, what's next?

I've only got one gas engine, and it's a modest little Zenoah G-26.
I have it in a 1/4 scale Sopwith Pup, and I love it.
However.....

I'm selling other toys, and need a NEW toy to fill the void of the OLD toys.

So lets have some fun and say I have a budget of roughly $500 - $700 for a new plane and a gas engine.

Criteria
~ The plane has to be an ARF, because I have two little boys at home, and it's a monumental thing just to finish one of those these days.
~ I'd prefer to go with a cheaper conversion engine like a Brillelli or something, because of the budget. I realize I'm sacrificing power-to-weight ratios here. No glow engines, thanks.
~ I've gotten my WW I fighter fix, so I'm now thinking more along the lines of a high aerobatic plane like an Extra or a Cap or something.

Can the criteria be met?
I know the ARF criteria really limits me, but that's my situation and building a kit is not an option.
What would you be looking at?
Old 06-12-2006, 09:45 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: So I'm hooked on gas engines, what's next?

How about the new Zenoah 20cc in a Funtana90, Showtime and a few other 60- 90 size planes.

Or the New Great Planes Yak, Cap232 or Ultimate 1.60 series with the Fuji 43cc. I have both the Cap and the Ultimate and the Fuji flies the Cap very well and I have a Brison 3.2 in the Ultimate but the Ultimate will definitely go over 700 bucks
Old 06-12-2006, 10:03 PM
jstanton
My Feedback: (14)

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Bosch232,

I think you are in the right neighborhood price wise. I just got an 80" Cap-232 from Giant Scale Planes for $199.99 plus $40.00 shipping. Thats $239.99. Brillelli is just about to release a 54cc engine that will be in your price range. Scott and Mark at Brillelli had this engine made just for RC flight. They had a new case designed and balanced the crankshaft. Scott says it well be very close to a DA-50 in weight and swing a 23x8 prop. Scott has the engine together right now and is just about ready to start testing. I told him I want one because I have 2 25GT engines and they are great. One of the 25GT engines is swinging a 18x8 APC sport prop at 8000 rpm so I don not think you'll lose any power by buying a Brillelli.

If you buy a plane form Giant Scale Planes call them and ask for the shipping charge. I did this and was told $40.00, but when my credit card was charged it was $80.00. I called them and got them to credit my credit card for the $40.00 differance. I fell they would have keep the $40.00 extra if I did'nt call them.

Good Luck
Old 06-13-2006, 01:02 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Blackhorse Models sells an 80" Cap that would perform well with a Poulan 46 conversion. The Cap is $299+ shipping. Poulan 46? They are everywhere. Probably pick one up for a few hundred.

Not much left for servos, extensions, and other stuff.

If you can stretch a couple hundred more out of that budget, you'll be all set up.

Here's a link to the distributor:
http://www.americanpioneerhobbies.com/

And the plane:
http://www.americanpioneerhobbies.co...180_scale.html

Here's a NIB BRielli 46 for $250
http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=197410

That will probably put you up to about $600 for the plane and motor. Another couple hundred for some high torque servos, batery, and RX--your good to go.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:31 AM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: Rcpilet

Blackhorse Models sells an 80" Cap that would perform well with a Poulan 46 conversion. The Cap is $299+ shipping. Poulan 46? They are everywhere. Probably pick one up for a few hundred.

Not much left for servos, extensions, and other stuff.

If you can stretch a couple hundred more out of that budget, you'll be all set up.

Here's a link to the distributor:
http://www.americanpioneerhobbies.com/

And the plane:
http://www.americanpioneerhobbies.co...180_scale.html

Here's a NIB BRielli 46 for $250
http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=197410

That will probably put you up to about $600 for the plane and motor. Another couple hundred for some high torque servos, batery, and RX--your good to go.

------------------

I like the CAP 232 (81" span), but I don't like not being able to order online. My business would go extinct without online ordering.

I have the Kangke CAP 232 ARF that I'm going to have to fly before I buy another. But I will keep this one in mind.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:12 AM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been looking at the GP Super Stearman bipe and putting a Brillelli 40cc/EI on the business end. A few guys have been running the G26 on this plane and the Brillelli 40cc weighs less. This setup would be close to the top of your budget. Brillelli engines are as good as any other so don't sell them short just because they are a conversion engine. I'll be buying another this fall for my winter project.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:20 AM
bubbagates

Zippi,

Most of us using the G26 is because GP says you need 18 ounces of lead in the nose when using the OS120FS. It just works out that the G26 is exactly that weight and a bit more power.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:34 AM
Zippi

Sorry bubbagates, I didn't mean anyhing bad about the G26 or the setup you guys are using. I like the setup and plan on getting one but wanted a little more power than the G26 because I plan on running a smoke system. The Brillelli 40cc has the power I'm looking for, weighs less than the G26, and about the same size as a 25cc. I'd like to see a video of the Super Stearman flying with a G26 on the business end.
ORIGINAL: bubbagates

Zippi,

Most of us using the G26 is because GP says you need 18 ounces of lead in the nose when using the OS120FS. It just works out that the G26 is exactly that weight and a bit more power.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:47 AM
bubbagates

Zippi,

No need to apologize. I wanted to make sure you understood what the reasons were for us using that engine. When I built mine I did not know of the Berelli. If I had I would have used it since I also run smoke and would love to get it lighter.

Do you have a web site so I can look at this engine?
Old 06-13-2006, 08:26 AM
jstanton

Bubblegates

You can go to www.brillelli.com and look at their engines. They have a new 26cc, 40cc, and a 46cc right now and the prices on these engines are very hard to beat. They are working on coming out with a 54cc & 60cc engine that are special built for RC flight. They are all great engines and you won't find any better customer service anywhere. Zippi and I both know how great Scott and Mark are at Brillelli.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:03 PM
Bosch232
My Feedback: (1)

All right, NOW we're talking..

I like that 232 from Black Horse (not to mention the price and weight of the plane) and how do you go wrong with a 46cc gasser for $250.00?? [X(]

These suggestions were along the lines of what I was thinking, and you guys have helped confirm that I was on the right track.
Thanks a bunch.

Servos, I can take care of those.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:22 PM
Zippi

Jstanton hit the nail on the head. I just love my little baby gasser and plan on getting the 40cc for the GP Super Stearman. Have to sale off some of my Nitro planes first.
ORIGINAL: bubbagates

Zippi,

No need to apologize. I wanted to make sure you understood what the reasons were for us using that engine. When I built mine I did not know of the Berelli. If I had I would have used it since I also run smoke and would love to get it lighter.

Do you have a web site so I can look at this engine?
Old 06-14-2006, 10:29 AM
jstanton

Bosch232

You'll love that Brillelli 46 gasser. I know it should be a good fit for that Cap 232. Here is a link to a Video of a Top Flite Giant P-51 using the $250.00 Brillelli 46. That engine is a monster and it has a lot of thrust. Scott and Mark are great to work with and the customer service is great. I just had a little problem with one of his 25Gt engines and he called me and stayed on the phone until we had it figured out. You won't get customer service like that from the big boy's.

Remember to use blue loctite and lock washers on the muffler.

http://media.putfile.com/Brillelli-46cc---P-51-Mustang-
Old 11-13-2006, 12:15 AM
LookNatU2
My Feedback: (11)

I have a CG Extra 330 / Brillelli 46cc on it // Awesome combo.
I had a balance issue with the plane at first because I bought the plane with this combo and the original guy who set it up used a pull/pull. I sence moved the servo to the tail.
My plane weighs 13.15oz with the Brillelli .
The bare engine weighs just 2 lbs 13oz and this is lighter then a DA-50.
I use single Hitec 645mg for all surfaces @6v with a standard mini on the throttle.
I have 2800 Li-Ion from TBM with6v reg and 2800 Li-Ion from TBM with 5.4v reg for ign. These are lighter then any nimh or ni-cad. I have pitched all the crap foam wheels and use TBM Kavans light wheels. I also lightned the heavy canopy hatch and use no pilot or dash and took off 6.4 oz alone for that mod. Painted the canopy black.
Brillelli sells a light weight alum engine mounts at 3.2oz thats lighter then the others ones i had @ 5.0oz
Little details like this add up.
If you run a glow engine use the pull/pull and move the servo to the tail for a gasser.
This setup has insane power to weight. Hovers at 1/3 throttle. Light 3D floater. Love the fact that I don't have to trailer this size of plane. Fits in my short box 5.5' pick-up truck
I run a Xoar 22x8 on it.
Customer service from Brillelli is as good as anyone could ever hope for.
I look at Brillelli this way. For a 46cc not a true 50cc. It's 95+% of the of DA-50's horsepower at half the cost, That's a awesome bargain in my world.
The Extra 330 's are now selling for $265 bucks and where else could you get a great flying gasser for around a $1,000 bucks?
Plane $265.00
Engine $355.00
Hitec 645mg x5 $200.00
2800 Li-Ion from TBMx2 with regs appox $100.00
Wheels,throttle servos,Prop,ect,ect.. $100.00
Not including shipping Total - $1000.00+

Not having to clean up Glow Goo is a wonderful thing