Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

JDE-54 or Hawk 14 Users Group

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

JDE-54 or Hawk 14 Users Group

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 08:20 PM
dw_crash
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default JDE-54 or Hawk 14 Users Group

Hello fellow Jet Flyers,

I'd like to try to start a technical thread on the engines build by JD Enterprises. The earlier ones were known as JDE-54 and later they were renamed the Hawk 14. I'd like for user of these engine to be able to pass on tips and learnings about these engines.

My last thread was destroyed by bickering. So, please lets keep this about using these engine. No complaints about this or that business deal or other stuff that went against someone. Lets stick to hobby related stuff.

I want to hear from users. Learn things like reliability, starting tips, maintenance tips etc. Stuff that can help all of us make best use of our engines.

Thanks,
DW_Crash
Old 11-14-2006, 04:27 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: JDE-54 or Hawk 14 Users Group

A friend of my had problems with a fuel pump and an ECU on the old version. I bought him a new ECU. He sold the whole thing before he got it together....

Dennis flys at my field. He is a great guy, my friend, and I respect him very much.

That said,

Out of 2 engines I've seen at the field, after many, many hours of work each, only 1 flew on a kangaroo, once.

Dennis spent all day working with the owner of that turbine and I was very impressed with how much attention he gave.

I'd like to see Dennis out there flying the bearings off of his turbines!! I'd love to have someone close by who can support the equipment.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:36 PM
dw_crash

Ravil,

I too have found Dennis to provide great service. He's a pretty good guy.

I am curious about the two engines you mentioned. Where they old version or the latest Hawk-14? Do you know what the solutions to the prblems were in the end?

DW_Crash
Old 11-14-2006, 11:22 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

DW,

I don't know what kind of software or if they were hawks, or jde 54's. I have no idea if one of the engines ever had a solution as only one was working well enough to fly.....

Rav
Old 11-16-2006, 05:22 AM
randykrul
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Rav
I was the one with the 2 engines. The one on the Kangaroo (Hawk 14 kit engine) had a fuel leak the week before and did not have any extra fuel line with me to repair at the field. The other engine was my old Wren 54 kit engines, which has many hours on it. It had some worn out internal problems. These engines still wear out parts, such as fuel manifolds. Dennis repaired both engines and they are working great. I have just been so busy that I have not been out flying lately. I also have a new Hawk 14 production engine that I am installing in a Cermark MB339, I just need to get up the courage to maiden it. I have a turbine Enforcer which has flown twice that I want to get a lot of flights logged on. Probably around the first of December before I can get out and fly again.
Dennis has been building a scratch design for a trainer, which I have been pushing for him to finish, so he can have some Turbine fun as well. Work just keeps getting in the way of having some fun.
Randy Krul
Old 11-16-2006, 10:40 PM
dw_crash

Randy,

Once you fixed the fuel leak, the Hawk 14 has worked fine since? Any further problems?

How do you find the performance? Ease of use?

Thanks,
DW_Crash