Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

12% or 16%

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 09:57 PM
CWC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12% or 16%

If I go to a lesser oil fuel will it bring the temps down or drive them up? I'm thinking of going from 16% to 12%oil also will I need to richen it or lean it out?
Old 11-27-2006, 10:38 PM
GoFastTurnLeft

Default RE: 12% or 16%

the fuel itself is what cools the motor. the oil is just a lubricant because there isnt an oilpan on an rc motor. ive heard that 16% is to thick and boggs your motor down. ive also heard some brands going clear down to 10% and 8% oil. ive run 12% for a long while and dont mind it.

.......er i think thats how it works
Old 11-27-2006, 11:44 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

From my experience I prefer 10 to 12% and nothing higher.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:19 AM
SAVAGEJIM

After running Blue Thunder for some time, I'm going to switch to Byrons or ODonnels (whichever one my local RC store starts carrying).

Blue Thunder has a very high oil content. It is so high that they do not even print the % in their labeling. I've heard people having problems with Blue Thunder before because of the high oil content, but in my stubborness, I bought it and eventually began to experience the same problems I read and heard about.

At first, when using thie fuel, I didnt experience and one way bearing slipping and therefore thought all the bad hype was BS. After using it in several engines for several tanks, the slipping came.

When I get a gallon of Byrons or ODonnells, I'm going to strip down all my engines and give them a thorough cleaning to clear out any trace of Blue Thunder in them.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:37 AM
CWC

I've had no problem with my one way bearing, my hobby shop has tons of fuels from 8% to 18% oil. Thay also have lots of race blends but I'm just looking for a good fuel that will give me good engine life, when I walk in my lhs there are too many choices. So I'm thinking of trinitys 20% with 12%oil. And I was just wandering how less oil would affect the tune warmer-cooler more power?

P.S. the nut at the LHS ''lousy hobby shop'' fed me this story about more oil is better for my lrp z.28 spec2.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:50 AM
DaveG55

Every now and then 46u posts an article that explains how oil content affects engine performance. It's a very intresting read.
Maybe he'll post it again or give him a pm and ask about it.
I don't quite understand why, if you're having no issues, you want to change fuel. I mean unless your looking for a higher performance fuel. Personally I've used Traxxas Top Fuel and Blue Thunder and had problems with both. So now I use O'Donnell's 20% fuel and it works well for me so I'll probably stick with it until it gives me problems - if it ever does.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:17 PM
kurtf5

ORIGINAL: DaveG55

Every now and then 46u posts an article that explains how oil content affects engine performance. It's a very intresting read.
I don't quite understand why, if you're having no issues, you want to change fuel. I mean unless your looking for a higher performance fuel. Personally I've used Traxxas Top Fuel and Blue Thunder and had problems with both. So now I use O'Donnell's 20% fuel and it works well for me so I'll probably stick with it until it gives me problems - if it ever does.
Great, advertise 46u's poor advice. No you cant use an O.S. glowplug in an S 25 can you?
Old 11-28-2006, 12:22 PM
DaveG55

ORIGINAL: kurtf5

Great, advertise 46u's poor advice. No you cant use an O.S. glowplug in an S 25 can you?

His advice is 1000% better than yours 100% of the time.
I mean really, you cannot even set the idle on your truck and you tell people that you cannot use OS plugs in a NS25. Damn, guess I'll have to go take the one out of my NS25....Silly me. And I just had it idling well and pulling wheelies too, Just Damn!!
Old 11-28-2006, 12:27 PM
kurtf5

His advice is 1000% better than yours 100% of the time.
I mean really, you cannot even set the idle on your truck and you tell people that you cannot use OS plugs in a NS25. Damn, guess I'll have to go take the one out of my NS25....Silly me. And I just had it idling well and pulling wheelies too, Just Damn!!
No its not.
Of course i can set idle, i just wondered what the best idle setting was, a high idle where the car is almost taking off, or a low idle where the car isnt almost taking off. Simple really.
Also, i dont know who you are mistaking me for, because i never said you cant use OS plugs in an NS25, you have me mixed up with someone else. 46u actually said that, so you are just dissing his advice even though you just said his advice is best lol, your stupid.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:32 PM
DaveG55

No its not.
Of course i can set idle, i just wondered what the best idle setting was, a high idle where the car is almost taking off, or a low idle where the car isnt almost taking off. Simple really.
Also, i dont know who you are mistaking me for, because i never said you cant use OS plugs in an NS25, you have me mixed up with someone else. 46u actually said that, so you are just dissing his advice even though you just said his advice is best lol, your stupid.
Yes, yes it is.
Your just jealous because no one on here respects your, immature, ignorant, rude little arse.
At least nobody with a clue about this hobby.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:38 PM
46u

DaveG55 not sure who you are talking about but I do not think you mean I. I have said time and time again the OS plug will work just is not the proper Leigh. I have been a motorcycle mechanic and machinist for over 30 years and many times have taken a short plug of a motorcycle where it calls for a long plug but was running now does this make it the correct plug? If you take the head off of the 25 and put an OS plug in and then proper plug you will see which is correct. If you run OS and are happy with it that is all that matters. Now make sure you do not put a long plug in an OS or you might have real problems!

Being I work on very expensive motorcycles (some over $100,000) I am in the habit of using the proper part for the poper application.

Yes some on this forum are good at giving advise but are the first ones to start a thread on my truck will not run properly! Those know who it is!
Old 11-28-2006, 12:39 PM
kurtf5

No its not.
Yes, yes it is.
Your just jealous because no one on here respects your, immature, ignorant, rude little arse.
At least nobody with a clue about this hobby.

Lol you are totally gutted now you realized 46u actually said you cant use an O.S. plug in an NS25, so you resorted to the, "your just jealous" come back, brings out the mental age in you. Is 46u your role model, or do you just suck his ass hole to try and be buddies with him?
Old 11-28-2006, 12:50 PM
46u

Some are so immature as they cannot comprehend what I say even in black in white as I have said an OS plug will work. Some need to learn to read or grow up! [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 11-28-2006, 12:51 PM
kurtf5

ORIGINAL: 46u

Some are so immature as they cannot comprehend what I say even in black in white as I have said an OS plug will work. Some need to learn to read or grow up! [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
You didnt say that in the other thread.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:53 PM
DaveG55

Thank you for proving my point about your character. You're a shining example for all prepubescent little boys.
I'm done hijacking this thread and appologize to CWC for doing so.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:59 PM
slodsm
My Feedback: (1)

There have been a total of 5 on topic posts out of the last 15 in this post, the rest were rediculously off topic and contained quite the array of personal attacks.

Kurt, this is FAR from the first time I have had to spend 20 minutes sorting through garbage you have stirred up to clean up a thread, I warn you now, this is dancing on the edge of moderated status so I suggest you dial back the aggression just a bit and simply don't post if you can't say anything constructive or pertaining to the topic, the swearing and attacks on character will NOT be tolerated here.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:36 PM
46u

Why 8% to 12% Oil

Using high oil content fuels in gas car engines won't provide improved engine life, as some would expect. Through extensive testing we've discovered the point of diminishing return as far as oil content to engine life is actually around 8% for most car engines. In other words any more oil than 8% in the fuel does noting to improve the life of a car engine. In fact the secondary effects of high oil content fuels can actually cause engine damage by encouraging over lean runs. Here's how.

Using high oil content fuel causes a car engine to be unresponsive during acceleration acting as if the engine were running rich. Typically when using high oil content fuel, in order to get crisp acceleration and response, an engine will need to be adjusted overly lean. In addition the high oil content prevents lean bog when an engine is over-leaned thus allowing the engine to run at this lean setting without the customary telltale lean bog warning letting you know the engine is overheating.

In summary, high oil content fuels don't give added protection. The point of diminishing return from a protection standpoint in a gas car application is about 8% oil depending on the oil type and engine. Anymore oil than this doesn't offer added protection and has potential secondary effects that reduce performance and can actually cause you to over lean your engine in an attempt to get crisp throttle response and acceleration.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:39 PM
savycharlie

I am runnin like 15% oil but i mighr be gettin like 12%.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:16 PM
benzzyo5

i run byorns race blend. 20% nitro 12% oil
Old 11-29-2006, 12:23 AM
CWC

Thanks 46u nice post, I have come across your posts on this before while searching. I'll probably go with some 20% with 12%oil, that is what I ran my .21 on. daveg55 it's cool no harm done just make a voodoo-doll in future thanks for the pm.
Hay I just realized this is my second thread on nitro just nitro, cool