Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Custom decal over painted covering

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Custom decal over painted covering

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 05:09 AM
The Raven

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom decal over painted covering

This sounds simple but as I've never done it before I'd appreciate some guidance.

I have an ARF that I plan to repaint, acrylic over covering, and I need to add some custom roundels to it.

How do I approach this and what should I make the roundels from?

Do I paint and then add roundels cut from covering (will it iron on) or should I mask and paint them?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:32 AM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Custom decal over painted covering

My suggestion would be to make them.

Use water slide decal paper and your printer to make them. I use http://www.beldecal.com/ for my paper.

Remember, printers do not print white, so if you need white in the decal get the white decal paper.

After your decals are in place and dry, then clear coat your paint job to seal everything.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:49 AM
The Raven

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. I'm looking at printing some ink jet style water slide decals (suitably sealed of course) but am concerned about how fade resistant the inks are.

Also, my roundels are going to be WWII early RAAF which is a big white center with a blue border.

Is there any special technique to putting large waterslide decals over a painted surface? I'm very familiar with plastic scale models and the requirement to put decals on a gloss surface to avoid silvering....and the use of decal softner (which shouldn't be necessary in this scale).
Old 11-30-2006, 03:08 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: The Raven

Thanks for the info. I'm looking at printing some ink jet style water slide decals (suitably sealed of course) but am concerned about how fade resistant the inks are.

>To minimize the "fade" use photo type/quality ink when printing the decals.

Also, my roundels are going to be WWII early RAAF which is a big white center with a blue border.

Is there any special technique to putting large waterslide decals over a painted surface?

>When doing large decals (much over 3" diameter ) I make certain the surface is
>extremely smooth. I go over the decal area with 1,000, then 1,500 wet/dry
>paper. I also add one or two additional coats of clear to the decal to help stiffen
>it up. Finally, I let the decal soak (weighted down flat ) until the decal literally
>"floats off" the backing and I also spray the area with Windex (clear if possible)
>before applying the decal. I am more concerned about getting the decal on
>smoothly than adhesion - I feel the final clear coat (along with the balance of the
>decal adhesive ) will provide enough adhesion.

I'm very familiar with plastic scale models and the requirement to put decals on a gloss surface to avoid silvering....and the use of decal softner (which shouldn't be necessary in this scale).

>The decal softner is up to you. The nice part about doing your own decals is
>that if it doesn't apply properly, you can always redo it with minimal cost.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:56 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Roundels are so very simple that I'd do them with UltraCote or Monokote. Use a protractor with a center point to size each piece for cutting out, and the hole that leaves will give you a way to accurately center the pieces.

Place the big background piece and iron it down. You should still be able to see the center pinhole from the protrtor. Push a straight pin through the center pinhole of the next layer and stick the pin point into the big pieces center hole. Slide the layer down and start ironing it from the center out, etc
Old 11-30-2006, 06:36 PM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: The Raven

Do I paint and then add roundels cut from covering (will it iron on) or should I mask and paint them?
I would mask and spray the roundels since they are simple enough, and paint will stick well to paint.