Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

3 speed tranny settings

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 08:01 PM
savage.racer1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 speed tranny settings

I have a HPI Savage with a SH.28 engine, 18T CB and 47T Spur gear. I just got a 3 Speed tranny and I was woundering if anyone knows how many turns and is it clock wise or counter clock wise.

Thanks.
Old 12-31-2006, 10:09 PM
Revo Eater

Default RE: 3 speed tranny settings

Tire size also plays an important part of when the tranny will shift. You need to play with it like everyone else does. Counterclockwise will make it shift earlier. Clockwise later. Start with second gear and once you have that shifting at almost peak rpm move on to third gear. Of course your engine must be tuned properly or the thing may never shift.
Old 01-01-2007, 08:11 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is it any more of a PIA the bigger the tires get, or just different? Anybody got a 3-speed for ex. with Big Joes??

I'm gonna be running stock Savage 25 wheels and tires and an Axial 28 on my X SS, and have a 3-speed, but can't decide if I should start with the stock 2-speed and save the 3-speed for down the road, or just put it in right away.. Don't want any extra headaches.. And cuz the shift-points depend so much on the engine, maybe it would in fact make sense to run a gallon through with the 2-speed, then put the 3-speed in later.. Would save having to fiddle with 2 shift points rather than 1 during the break-in process.... Or??
Old 01-04-2007, 12:21 AM
MITCH ..

well first off if you want to change you tires down the road for big joe's it will make a difference with the shift points also you will want to change you gear ratio spur and clutch and this will also affect your shifting

2 if your breaking in your engine leave your 2 speed in and stock tires till the breakin is complete than go from there......