Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Floats for Hanger 9 100" Cub

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Floats for Hanger 9 100" Cub

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2003, 10:23 PM
Bill Harris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Floats for Hanger 9 100" Cub

Hi guys, I'm looking for a set of floats. Preferably, prebuilt for a Hanger 9 100" Cub. I build jets professionally for others, and I don't have the time to spare. But I want to do some float flying this year, and I figured this will get me there fast. I trust in you guys judgment. Thanks in advance for any and all advice.
Bill Harris
Old 01-31-2003, 12:01 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

You may want to check these guys out. Their floats were reviewed in one of the Mags last fall.

http://seacommander.com/
Old 01-31-2003, 05:31 AM
Jetwrench

Default Hangar 9 Cub on Floats

I have a set of Sea Commanders on my Hangar 9 Cub. Was a lot of work but very scale and worth the extra time. Here's a pic. Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	51577_5644.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	31830  
Old 01-31-2003, 06:08 PM
matt walch

I recently took an interest in float planes and I have heard nothing but good things about sea commander floats, but I'm interested in aluminum floats. Have you guys ever seen any? By the time they are thick enough to be sturdy enough, would they weigh too much?
Old 01-31-2003, 08:51 PM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

>>but I'm interested in aluminum floats. <<

(1) I have never heard of anyone offering aluminum floats for r/c aircraft. Still, nothing is impossible.
(2) The metal would have to be exceedingly thin for the float to meet flyable weight
(3) The properties of aluminum would make them very maintenance intensive. Once dented, they would STAY dented or at least be difficult to un-dent and next to impossible to be made to look like new. Example: Crinkle a pepsi can and try to make it right again.
The rest of us cheat, and use aluminum monokote or paint on our wood, foam, or fiberglass floats. If you really make a set of Aluminum floats, take a lot of pictures 'cause it would be good for a magazine article.
Not making fun of you or ridiculing you in any way. You would be a pioneer going into uncharted territory. Pull it off, and you're better than me.
Old 02-01-2003, 01:37 AM
matt walch

The reason I'm interested is becuase my Dad used to be a pilot and he just loved his float planes. His birthday is coming up and He's been in RC - only buying stuff right so far - and he said he wanted alumunum floats for his Taylorcraft. They would be something huh! Thanks for the input.
Matt
Old 02-01-2003, 02:32 AM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

I have seen a pair that were homemade...and very well made too.
They were very light, although they were small (30 something inches long, I think...) So, it is possible..........
Old 02-01-2003, 01:35 PM
Bill Harris

P-51B and Jetwrench, Thanks alot guys. They look like they are good looking floats. Jetwrench, are those painted or are they covered in the same film as the plane? Also, what are you powering it with. Thats the look I'm after. Thanks again for you guys help. Bill Harris