Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

SAVAGE X-SS Owners - POST YOUR COMMENTS

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 07:51 PM
rcnz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SAVAGE X-SS Owners - POST YOUR COMMENTS

ORIGINAL: Revo Eater

Never had a problem with my Hitech servo or my hump pack.
Same here - never had any problem. I'm running that servo with a 1400mAh hump pack and it works great.
Old 12-26-2006, 04:49 PM
rcnz

Had my FIRST PROBLEM with the XSS today...

Running along on a gravel road with a few bumps and jumps, and suddenly lost all power to the rear. Checked the car and the setscrew had fallen out of the rear-drive cup on the 2-speed. These cups were installed at a the factory and obviously, they hadn't put enough threadlock on the shaft to hold the screw in place.

So if you've got an XSS, make sure the cups on the outdrives from the transmission are secure and that the setscrews are threadlocked.
Old 12-26-2006, 04:53 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

On the tranny, don't you have to put the set-screws in yourself?? I'm not that far along yet - but I did threadlock the set-screws coming from the diffs..
Old 12-26-2006, 05:04 PM
rcnz

ORIGINAL: PatrickBW

On the tranny, don't you have to put the set-screws in yourself?? I'm not that far along yet - but I did threadlock the set-screws coming from the diffs..
No....the cups on the tranny were already assembled with the setscrews in place. As regards the diffs, the ones I got in my XSS kit were pre-assembled...just had to grease them up...the cups on those were already in place with setscrews as well....
Old 12-26-2006, 05:44 PM
pyrodon

Hey guy I just ordered my first savage. I should be getting it in a week can’t wait Does the savage x ss come with aluminum shoes?? And do you get that plastic roll cage with it to??
Old 12-26-2006, 06:08 PM
fergus91

well i got my x ss finished and run in today
ive now started tuneing (ive turned about a qurter on the hsn so far) i know i need to do the lsn aswell is just got dark before i had time to properly tune
the engine seams to be reving quite high but it dosent seam to change gear
soo i was wondering is it just i need to continue tuneing or do i need to alter the shift point

oh and i dont get half tank lean YAY
Old 12-26-2006, 06:35 PM
rcnz

ORIGINAL: pyrodon

Hey guy I just ordered my first savage. I should be getting it in a week can’t wait Does the savage x ss come with aluminum shoes?? And do you get that plastic roll cage with it to??
No, just comes with standard heavy-duty (teflon) clutch shoes. It comes with an optional engine guard/rollbar which I suggest you attach - just need to cut a bit out of the body though, but its definately worth it!
Old 12-27-2006, 02:59 AM
rcnz

ORIGINAL: fergus91

ive now started tuneing (ive turned about a qurter on the hsn so far) i know i need to do the lsn aswell is just got dark before i had time to properly tune
soo i was wondering is it just i need to continue tuneing or do i need to alter the shift point

When it is running RICH sometimes it will struggle to get the rpm to change into the second gear. Just keep tuning it and leaning the HSN..you'll notice the difference each 1/8 turn..if after tuning it doesn't change into 2nd, then I would check the adjustment on the tranmission...see your manual for details
Old 12-31-2006, 06:28 PM
TxRoadRunner

harawong & Spike X: thanks for the info

ORIGINAL: SpikeX

TxRoadRunner, you will need the following:

Receiver Switch (preferably with charging lead) <- I'm not sure if it comes with the Spektrum DX3.0 set
5-cell 6V Hump Pack

Glow Plug Ignitor Glow Plug Wrench
Fuel Bottle

Tools:

Screwdrivers
Hex Drivers
Instant Glue (CA)
Thread Lock

Well I picked up my Savage X SS 4.6 and Specktrum 3.0 and i must say this is going to be fun to build. For those of you who have started running your X SS what type of glow plugs are you running. I'm also wanting to put in a Reverse module, who makes it, where can i find it and how much does it cost? (links would be great, cant seem to find one) I'll be starting the build soon and will let everyone know how that process goes.
Old 01-01-2007, 02:47 AM
rcnz

ORIGINAL: TxRoadRunner

Well I picked up my Savage X SS 4.6 and Specktrum 3.0 and i must say this is going to be fun to build. For those of you who have started running your X SS what type of glow plugs are you running. I'm also wanting to put in a Reverse module, who makes it, where can i find it and how much does it cost? (links would be great, cant seem to find one) I'll be starting the build soon and will let everyone know how that process goes.
I'm just running the stock HPI R5 plug that came with the K4.6 engine.
As regards reverse module, you can get this from Tower Hobbies...

If you're running a 3-channel radio, which you will be if you've got the Spektrum DX3.0, then all you'll need is this:
Reverse Module (no mixer) http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXDSD1&P=ML
Plus you'll need a standard servo to attach to the module

If you've got a 2-channel radio, you'll need the Reverse Module + Mixer + Servo:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXMCX3&P=ML
Old 01-01-2007, 02:48 AM
rcnz

BTW, here's the link for the R5 (cold) plug:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFYM4&P=V
Old 01-01-2007, 10:33 AM
TxRoadRunner

ORIGINAL: rcnz

ORIGINAL: TxRoadRunner

I'm just running the stock HPI R5 plug that came with the K4.6 engine.
As regards reverse module, you can get this from Tower Hobbies...

If you're running a 3-channel radio, which you will be if you've got the Spektrum DX3.0, then all you'll need is this:
Reverse Module (no mixer) http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXDSD1&P=ML
Plus you'll need a standard servo to attach to the module

If you've got a 2-channel radio, you'll need the Reverse Module + Mixer + Servo:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXMCX3&P=ML
rcnz: Thanks for the information and Happy New year everyone
Old 01-04-2007, 02:10 AM
rcnz

Old 01-04-2007, 03:39 AM
paintstikker

It will take about 1-2, gallons for your engine to completely run like it should, along with the tranny. Mine didn't reach full power, or even shift untill I ran a gallon and a half though it.

The half tank lean is where the shelf causes the different pressure on the fuel line, so the engine leans out. You want to tune the engine so it runs a but more rich until it reaches half tank, so it will run like it should normally run. You don't want it to lean out too much when it hits half tank, or you might be running the risk of damaging your engine. Another option is to install another tank. I'm not that positive of this, it's only advice I've seen from this forum, I don't have the problem, most of the time.

P.S the only problem with mine was a defective pullstarter.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:07 PM
rcnz

The crazy thing is....the new 160cc primerless tank from HPI was supposed to fix the half lean bog problems with the previous tank. Obviously they must have rushed it into production or something....I don't find it 2 bad, but there is a difference once it reaches half a tank. My solution has been what you have done - richen it out initially so that when its at 1/2 tank, it runs as normal.
Old 01-07-2007, 04:30 PM
rcnz

So has anyone done the Ofna tank mod with their XSS? I get the half tank lean, but I find it is only really noticeable when it is cold and the engine leans out more.

I see quite a few people have solved the problem through the use of a secondary holding tank connected to the main fuel tank...how exactly does that work? Anyone done that with their XSS?
Old 01-07-2007, 06:52 PM
Vigilante212

I ordered my savage x ss kit off ebay thursday It should be here this week. It was Just a rolling chassis so I had to buy shocks HD dogbones and rims and tires seperatly, but that will save me time of buying the full kit and buying these upgraded parts extra. Im also going to put a LRP .28 spec 3 into it It should be a monster. Next on my list I need to get a good controller and servos. High torque is for steering right?
Old 01-07-2007, 09:27 PM
paintstikker

Yeah, mine is only noticeable when it is a bit cooler, and even when I do it's not much, but I run it rich for the first ½ anyway. Some days I have the problem, some I don't.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:29 PM
rcnz

ORIGINAL: Vigilante212

I ordered my savage x ss kit off ebay thursday It should be here this week. It was Just a rolling chassis so I had to buy shocks HD dogbones and rims and tires seperatly, but that will save me time of buying the full kit and buying these upgraded parts extra. Im also going to put a LRP .28 spec 3 into it It should be a monster. Next on my list I need to get a good controller and servos. High torque is for steering right?
Yes, high-torque for steering. I run a HS-5645MG, 164.2 oz-in at 6V...does the trick, however a bigger one would be even better. I would recommend getting anything less than that....

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXUZ80&P=ML