Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Re-Covering Question

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Re-Covering Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 05:29 PM
pilot_adam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re-Covering Question

Hello All,

Need a tip for removing some very tacky adhesive from an airframe i am stripping in order to re-cover it. Not too familiar with what type of covering it was, seems fairly old, and unlike anything i am used to seeing. Heating the material with a heat gun was necessary to entirely remove the old covering and the sticky adhesive was the remaining result. Nothing i have tried seems to be able to take it off effectivly. any suggestions????

Adam
Old 01-18-2007, 08:09 PM
Kaos1964
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: Re-Covering Question

Try some acetone, but be VERY careful - nasty stuff [:'(].
Old 01-19-2007, 10:44 AM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

How abut Balsarite thinner? Ther's also a product called "Goo-Be-gone" that I've used on small areas. You can get it at a paint or hardware store,
Walt
Old 01-19-2007, 05:57 PM
pilot_adam

Thanks for the tips guys...keep em coming
Adam
Old 01-20-2007, 06:46 AM
camdyson

Citrus-based sprays are available for removing goop too - beware though, will also remove some paint so watch where you spray it. You can get it in supermarkets here in Oz.

Cam
Old 01-20-2007, 12:32 PM
Chip_Mull
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The adhesive is a solvent based adhesive. You said it was "old". Old stuff was all solvent based. The solvent was probably Toluene which can be cut with either the acetone or better yet (NOW PLEASE! LET'S NOT LET THIS THREAD DEGRADE INTO A DISCUSSION ON TOXICITY OF MEK.) ... MEK or Methyl Ethyl Ketone. Yes, it stinks and yes, it kills brain cells but we "Senior" modelers have all used Ambroid cement and we're still here to talk about it. Fingernail polish contains Toluene and now there is a warning on the bottle. Did it stop the women from using it?

MEK is a solvent designed for and in the same group as Toluene. It will soften the adhesive and is the best thing to remove it. That's what it was designed for. Yes, it is available nationwide and usually at that big orange sign (Home Depot) or Sherman Williams paint stores.

CA with kicker produces a poisonous fume. Are you going to stop using CA. I think not but this thread, trust me, will now dissolve into a discussion on how toxic MEK is.

When you go to the EPA web site, be sure to read the entire page on MEK. At the end it says there is no data to confirm carcinogenic properties. Meaning it will kill brain cells at the same magnitude as Crown Royal or Smirnoff but it won't make your future children look wierd with three arms or contribute to your demise with some form of soft cell cancer.

Here we go........