Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Plug-in Stabilizers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 11:13 AM
Mitsu1
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plug-in Stabilizers?

I've been away from the hobby for a few years, and I've noticed almost all big airplanes have plug in stabilizers to aid in transportation. The question I have is ... What type setup is used to allow repeated connecting and unconnecting of the elevator pushrods without fatigueing the clevis at the horn? I mean, ... if you are constantly opening and closing the clevis to put-on and take off the stab doesn't this weaken and compromise the clevis/horn a little bit more each time? Also, what am I missing ... isn't it a pain the %$@# to go through all of this each time you setup or break down?
Old 01-22-2007, 11:35 AM
shakes268

Default RE: Plug-in Stabilizers?

Usually on these types of setups the servo is installed in the stab. There is no disconnecting of the clevis/horn. All you disconnect is the servo from an extension.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:00 PM
Mitsu1

No, .. not talking about the 40% or those with the servo in the stab, but rather the 25 & 30% sizes that have pushrods coming from fuselage mounted servos connecting to the elevator horns.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:05 PM
Mitsu1

NO, I mean like this ... 29% Air Wild Extra 260
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85382.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	604144  
Old 01-22-2007, 12:13 PM
Mitsu1

Even this smaller 73" Wild Hare Edge 540 has removeable horizonatal stabs. Seems to me if you are opening and closing clevises this many times ... trouble is down the road???

Name:	Lj22990.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	604145  
Old 01-22-2007, 12:27 PM
Steve
My Feedback: (54)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The 50cc and smaller planes don't realy need to be removed all the time. Some people even glue them on permanently. I will only remove mine when I need the room in the truck for more planes. Like going to fun-flys. If you remove the 4-40 screw from the servo horn, and use a locknut, it should never be a problem.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:24 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In all the time I have flown planes in the 28% size, and even larger, I have never found the need to remove a stab unless I wanted to change something. There's more than one reason for a removable stab, one of which is to eliminate a glue joint, another is to permit an easier alignment process should it be required. The stab tube adds quite a bit of strength to the horizontal stabilizer, which is another reason. Usually those that are in the position where they would have to remove the stabs for transport will go with smaller and easier to fit planes that won't require the stab removal.

The biggest reason some of the smaller planes come with removable stabs is because a large percentage of the customers have asked for it and constructing the plane that way increased sales volumes. Ya just can't argue with the number of units sold of one type against a lower selling type.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:32 PM
rmh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

twin elevator servos on the 25%models -- -it sells but is really not necessary and in many cases undesireable . Many time I switch em to a pushrod and fork setup- it really is more accurate .
Old 01-22-2007, 11:35 PM
Mitsu1

Well enough answer for me! I was under the impression since so many have it, and some manufacturers quote transport as the reason, .. that there was a great number of people actually making use of them for that reason... and that's where my horn/clevis concerns were born. I agree, ... assembling an ARF with that type stab's gotta be a breeze compared to the old traditional way.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:53 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I just glue em on. I haven't had the need to remove the stabs off a 25% or 28% model yet. I'm in the middle of a 30% Extra and I glued the stabs on that one too.

I totally agree with Mitsu1 though:
If your gonna put removeable stabs on a plane--then put the darn servos in the stab. That way all I gotta do is remove a bolt and then take the servo connector loose. Seams totally stupid to be taking linkages apart all the time. A nylon lock nut is gonna get worn out eventually, or your gonna forget something.

Another thing I can't stand is the removeable stabs/wings where they have you run a bolt down into the aluminum tube. If your gonna make a plane with removeable stabs--then build the root rib with a piece of ply that I can run a bolt through and into a blind nut in the fuse. And build the wings with a couple 8/32 blind nuts in the root rib. The idea of catching only 2 or 3 threads in an aluminum wing tube thats only about 1/16" thick wall--that just seams crazy to me. It's gonna warble around and strip out eventually. Then your wing/stab falls off. SPLAT.

My 30% won't fit in my truck even with the stabs off. So, I just glued them on. I'll transport it with the tailgate down and the wheels in the hinge line of the tailgate. The tail will be up front by the cab of the truck. Wrap a bungee around the wheels and secure it to the bumper. That will keep my plane from falling out.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:13 AM
Mitsu1

Rcpilet, I'm with you on the wing bolts that tap into the aluminum tube. I have ALWAYS thought this was risky business. Marriage and career goals took me away from flying for a bit, but I'm now trying to get back up to speed, and I have a 29% Ultimate and a 27% Hangar 9 Cap that are in the works. I don't plan to have removeable stabs on either one, but that brings me to yet another question. My vehicle, Infiniti FX ... MIGHT .. be able to get my planes in, one at a time .. as long as I have no other passengers, but if I have a passenger its not gonna happen, with or without the stabs. So, I've been considering tying it down to the racks on top of the SUV for good weather trips to the field. My concerns here are stressing the stabs to have to fight a slip stream that doesn't flow with the normal lines of flight, since the tail will be anchored down.(30 minute drive) Should these be valid concerns?
Old 01-23-2007, 05:59 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You won't be anywhere near the first to have transported planes this way. We used to have a guy that carried his planes across the back of his Mazda Miata when the top was down, with the wings in place! There are others that haul the fuse on the roof of their vehicles in the same manner you intend with no ill effects. Just don't set the stabs with any deflection when transporting and they will ride just fine.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:45 AM
Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway
My Feedback: (42)

Max speed 35 (30 when traveling into the wind) and I run a strap around the fuse back by the tail group. Works great when the flying field is 5 min away.

Name:	Ay74728.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	604808  
Old 01-23-2007, 08:03 AM
Wings-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mitsu1, Your first picture answers your question. You don't use a clevis on this size and style of plane! You use a ball joint like the one pictured that has a bolt or a large pin that goes through a brass bushing and uses a key or nut on the back side. There is certainly no more concern of fatigue on these bolts than your wing bolts!