Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Horizon Hobby?????

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 08:57 AM
ncrego
My Feedback: (40)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Horizon Hobby?????

There are a couple that I'd like to see. I'd really like to see a Sukhoi, bring the old one back, and bring out a 50cc. It's a good flying plane, and an unusual one, I only know of 2 other Sukhois on the market, one the Wildhare, and there's a composite one out there that I forget the manufacturer of. The other plane I'd like to see in both a 33% and 50cc size is an Extra 300. Essentially the same as a 260, but the larger canopy of the 300 just looks better to my eyes. The only one left is a 50cc Edge 540T. There just aren't any out there, I know that Airwild has one, but beyond that, I haven't seen them. Every manufacturer has a yak out, and an Extra 260, but those planes are underdone.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:46 AM
hvac
My Feedback: (7)

luftwaffe giant scale gas, specifically bf109. i think there is a huge market for smaller(120 size) planes that are built for gas. G20, Brillelli 26 and so on, to get more people into gas without having to spend a small fortune. lots of guys at my field would like to have or try gas but are afraid of spending that much money and crashing.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:35 AM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

ORIGINAL: ncrego

There are a couple that I'd like to see. I'd really like to see a Sukhoi, bring the old one back, and bring out a 50cc. It's a good flying plane, and an unusual one, I only know of 2 other Sukhois on the market, one the Wildhare, and there's a composite one out there that I forget the manufacturer of. The other plane I'd like to see in both a 33% and 50cc size is an Extra 300. Essentially the same as a 260, but the larger canopy of the 300 just looks better to my eyes. The only one left is a 50cc Edge 540T. There just aren't any out there, I know that Airwild has one, but beyond that, I haven't seen them. Every manufacturer has a yak out, and an Extra 260, but those planes are underdone.

Wild Hare has a brand new (re-design of their old one) 50cc Edge 540.... in case you were looking for one.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5234553/tm.htm

I'd like to see a Sukhoi as well since they are not as common. Or maybe one of those MX2's, or something different, I like the YAK's but there are SO many of them it's getting and has been rediculous for a while now. A Raven maybe?

Old 01-19-2007, 10:54 AM
Silent-AV8R

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: MMcConville
How would you tackle the retracts on a big warbird?
Hire me and I'll come back there and Git-R-Done!!!

TopFlite has the option on the Cessna 310 to use either fixed gear (UGH!!) or they have set it up so Robarts drops right into the same mount area. Retracts are a problem to some extent, but not an insurmountable one. And it is a good reason to stay down in the 50cc class. Get larger than that and you are talking a significant increase in the cost of retracts.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:40 AM
3Dreaming
My Feedback: (1)

How about a 50cc size clipwing Tcraft that could fly Basic and Sportsman IMAC. I've got a color scheme. Tom
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95601.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	601629  
Old 01-19-2007, 11:59 AM
Silent-AV8R

A 50cc or 100cc Decathlon would be cool.

Others (50cc or larger):

A big Husky (aerotow plane), fixed gear GA homebuilts like the RV series, Lancair, Glasair. Big bipes: Stearman, Bucker, Waco, Beech Stagger Wing, etc.

Again, there just HAS to be more out there than choosing between a YAK 54 or YAK 55, an Extra 300 or Extra 330 and so on.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:14 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: MMcConville

How would you tackle the retracts on a big warbird?

Since it is nothing new, and I see no need to re-invent the wheel, I'd probably ask these guys...

http://www.sierragiant.com/
Old 01-19-2007, 11:20 PM
bzyguy01

MMcConville,
A big 50,80, or even a 100 cc size Super decathalon or maybe a super cub and maybee a citabria!!! I have been lookin for one but nobody makes a fair priced Giant scale ARF! I absolutely think theese would almost pre sell themselves out! If H9 made a good quality, reasonably priced ARF unit. They would fly out the door! Seriously...Take a poll and see for yourself. I missed the boat on the smaller H9 Super cub when they were available. But do the planes in Mono cote or such instead of fabric. Like an overgrown Eflite cub or plug and play cub.
Shayne

PS. If you make one....I'll take two!
Old 01-19-2007, 11:33 PM
bzyguy01

Heres a post on a larger Decathalon. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4766009/tm.htm
Old 01-20-2007, 02:39 AM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

I am pretty sure the CAP 232 33% is going to be re-released this spring. The parts for it are in the websites catalog

It be nice to see the Super Cub and a Decathlon released. I like 120 sized birds becuase I have a ton of standard servos and large glow engines laying around that need a home

Sport/Semi Scale seem to be popular now. I am so over Yaks and Extra 260's

whatever it is I am sure H9 will bring the good stuff
Old 01-20-2007, 09:18 AM
Mike3579
My Feedback: (56)

The cap would be awesome! I hope they do release it.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:09 PM
adrenalnjunky
My Feedback: (18)

50% Shoestring, or similar Racer (no cosmic wind planes)- something that could fly on Brison 2.4 up to G62

Quality 85-100" warbirds - just duplicate the whole 60 sized H9 line in planes that can fly on a G38 and up.

And yeah - just plug Cap 232 into the search bar on horizon - it pull sup all the new Cap 232 replacement parts - the ARF has to be coming.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:35 PM
mirwin
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: MMcConville "How would you tackle the retracts on a big warbird?
Nobody seems to have answered your question so I'll give you my 2 cents.

If a GS warbird is about the size of your H9 1.50 P47, the gear that came with it are okay. I know that many complained about them but I have about 30 flights on my P-47 and they've held up well. The linkage is a pain to set up properly, but I don't know how you could get around that.

If H9 provides the retracts, then I imagine they will have to stick with mechanicals to keep the price down. I think that some would prefer to provide their own air retract system so if you did that, you could drop the price of the model a bit. I personally would rather have air retracts.

Having said that, I will buy any GS warbird that H9 makes (I dream of an 80"+ F4U). the H9 GS warbirds a great bang for the buck!

Thanks for asking, Mike. I appreciate your participation and interest in these forums.

Mike Irwin, President
Blue Ridge RC Club
AMA charter #2703
Loettsville, VA
Old 01-24-2007, 12:37 AM
outacontrol41
My Feedback: (9)

How about a 50 or 60cc sized Stearman? Great Planes started with a Super Stearman and I guess because of demand added a military version. Everyone loves a good biplane. Landing gear from Robart. Build it and my money will become your money.

How about that tow plane that JR or Horizon uses at sailplane events to get the glider into the air. Was that a Piper Pawnee or Cessna AgWagon? Well, Cessna Agwagon in the 1/4 scale version wouldn't be a bad choice, would it. I'd buy two if it were from Hangar 9. It would give us a chance to play around with dusting systems and they also make a nice intoduction into giant-scale as they are capable of slow flight.

I agree with everyone as well that there are too many aerobatics flooding the market in the larger sizes and anything else that's scale seems to be way smaller in .40 size and made in China.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:10 AM
JEFFRO503
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: Phaedrus-MMVI

I have told everyone who will stand still long enough that I think there is a HUGE market for quality warbird ARF's built around the DA50 (or similar). How about a DA50-sized Miss America?? How cool would that be??

But all we keep getting is another YAK, another Extra, another aerobatic plane. Don't get me wrong, I love aerobatics, but man after a while you start wonder if the model makers think that is all there is out there!!

TopFlite has a new 84" Cessa 310 Twin that looks way cool.

Man.......i gotta put in my two cents here..........This guy NAILED it on a market that i think has been relatevley untouched.......Giant scale warbirds like the P-51 , Corsair or a Hellcat or something like that........in a 50cc class??.......I'd buy one in a minute!!

Don't get me wrong , i love my 33% yak and fly nothing but (for the most part anyways) 3-D type flying. BUT......this dude at our feild showed up with one of those BUD NOSEN 102" wingspan P-51's , and my jaw dropped!! I would love to be able to own and fly a 40cc-60cc sized p-51.

That's my vote mike.......i think if horizon thought about how to make a descent set of retract system for a bird in this size range.......they would mop up the competition for warbird sales. PUT ME IN FOR TWO......for heck of it!!

P.S.......i do like the hanger 9's new 150 sized P-51 , but i would still hold out for something a little bigger. Closer to the 90-105' range. WWOOooooOO !!

PPS.......also...another market which i really wish someone would make is a larger scale F-1 type pylon racer. Like an oversized minnow , or little toni or possibly a raven!! some of those other's which i can't think of there names....but i would buy in a heartbeat!!

posting a couple cool pics for you guys here.

JEFF

OH YEAH BABY!!!

Imagine one of these in an ARF form!!??!!?? WWWooOoo!!!

Or even one of these ?????

Then we could all be doing this!!!!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49794.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	605478   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nj25605.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	605479   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx63223.jpg