Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

CA Glue Building Tip

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

CA Glue Building Tip

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 11:04 AM
Capt Lou

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CA Glue Building Tip

Some of you may have done this, so I apologize for wasting your time but I thought this tip may help the novice. I usually use epoxy glue. I built a Sig LT 40 and for the first time used only CA glue which can be messy. To alleviate the mess, you can buy long tubing in a hobby shop that, after it closes at the tip, can be cut and re-used. I found little drinking straws can do the same thing as the purchased tubing. Just fit the straw over the bottle tip and squeeze away. Long straws also allow you to get into tight or difficult places. You also need to be cautious in that you may use more glue than is necessary but with a little practice this can be avoided.

I hope this helps someone.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:22 AM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: CA Glue Building Tip

You don't have to cut the tips off. You can soak the tip in Acetone (fingernail polish remover) for a few minutes, and it will soften the hardened CA. You can then remove the plug. I also find it handy after completing a building session, to rinse the applicator out with acetone.

You can also purchase (for $.49) new bottle tops. I keep a couple extras. Have one thats got the hole, and one that doesn't. Store it with the uncut top, and use the cut one when gluing. Again, clean the applicator tip with acetone at the end of the building session. Really helps prevent the crud buildup at the tip.

Brad
Old 01-23-2007, 10:46 AM
Charlie P.

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXB970&P=7

I keep a supply of these on hand. I buy CA in two oz bottles and remove the cap to refill the pipette. I have a wood stand to set the pipettes in. Surprisingly, they can sit open for weeks and the CA never hardens up. I use one with thin CA and one with thick (marked with a black marker), snipping the tip shorter as it cruds up. The little bits of balsa dust that touch the tip are what cause the CA to harden.

They are also much easier to poke in and out between wing ribs and spars than a bottle. Two pipettes will do a whole plane build and then I toss them.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32912.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	604911  
Old 01-24-2007, 07:12 AM
Flying freak

I use those with kicker works great it allows you to put it only wqere you want it if you use the pray bottol the kicker comes with you end up puting it everywere..