Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

E-Savage Diffs

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 11:04 AM
noahw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-Savage Diffs

Anybody else having troubles with their diffs for the E-Savage? I broke the shaft on the rear diff on my 3rd time out, just got it fixed, then the next time out broke one on the front. It wasn't like these were big crashes or anything. It seems the same thing happened in the RC Car Action review. Any suggestions beyond just replacing with stock replacement parts? Will replacing the stock grease with something else help? I'm new to this so details will be appreciated.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:06 PM
bluecutty

Default RE: E-Savage Diffs

ORIGINAL: noahw

Anybody else having troubles with their diffs for the E-Savage? I broke the shaft on the rear diff on my 3rd time out, just got it fixed, then the next time out broke one on the front. It wasn't like these were big crashes or anything. It seems the same thing happened in the RC Car Action review. Any suggestions beyond just replacing with stock replacement parts? Will replacing the stock grease with something else help? I'm new to this so details will be appreciated.
I broke my bevel gear in my diff on the rear a couple of weeks ago. I just rebuilt my diff and replaced the bevel gear with a new one from HPI. I hope I don't do it again because it's a pain to rip apart the whole gearbox. I noticed I broke the bevel gear after I tightened the slipper. I've loosened the slipper since then so hopefully it doesn't happen again. I haven't had it out again but will let you know if it happens again.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:49 PM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The E's diffs only have 2 spiders right? This makes for a pretty weak differential unit. This is the same problem nitro Savage owners went through until HPI released the 4 spider diffs. If enough people complain to HPI about this, they'll likely come out with a 4 gear upgrade for the E as well.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:17 PM
noahw

Yes -- only 2 spiders. On top of that I guess the width of 5mm makes them weaker and so is a problem. I also posted this on the E-Savage forum and got similar responses there -- with a possible conversion to T/E-Maxx parts sounding like a reasonable possibility.