Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

ideas for a race savage

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 07:58 PM
losidriver09

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ideas for a race savage

ok well i wouldnt mind if soem guys/ girls did a little write up of what they thought would be good hop ups to add to the savage or do to the savage to make it a good racer

mine and i know im going to be missing quite a bit of things here but im thinking of starting like this

LCG TVPS'
replace stock engine (change my gearing as well )
tires and rims set up
replace shock towers with a more adjustable shock tower
replace stock shocks
high torque servos
exhaust pipe
tie rods and control arms

ok i know im missing soem things but please post what you guys think is a good starting to point for a race savage
Old 01-28-2007, 12:03 AM
Stablock

Default RE: ideas for a race savage

It all depends on what you want? What is your competition running with? How serious of a racer do you want to be? Do you want to be competitive, become sponsored, or just have fun? Do you have fixed budget or is money no problem?
Old 01-28-2007, 01:09 AM
losidriver09

well im on somewhat of a budget i do work full time as an apprentice mechanic so theres a decent budget but it is my first year racing and i dont know what the competition has because we are in the stages of building a track in my town right now
Old 01-28-2007, 01:28 AM
-SomeGuy-

Lucky b@stard, i wish my town would build us a track...
Old 01-28-2007, 09:41 AM
Vigilante212

LCG TVPS' - chronic makes some good ones
replace stock engine (change my gearing as well ) - always a good idea the hpi engine is a pooch
tires and rims set up - half inch offset rims maybe 40 series not sure.
replace shock towers with a more adjustable shock tower - not really needed the only ones ive seen are aluminum and those will add extra wieght

replace stock shocks - again not nessesary most aftermarket shocks suck. You could do the lst shock conversion though $100 with the shocks and kit.

high torque servos - Get the highest torque one you can afford.
exhaust pipe - tsais makes some good ones. also ive been looking at the phantom one
tie rods and control arms - not sure why these would need to be upgraded.

A good mod for the shocks is to put 1/2 inch limiters inside them on the shock shaft. this lowers the ride height. then you can remove the preload spaces from the shocks. You want the A arms to be prerry much level from body to tire. 46u runs 25 wieght shock oil I think in his truck. For diff oils I used 10k in front 30k in rear and I havent looked into what to use for the gearbox yet.

If you dont have the savage x-ss youll need to do the savage x conversion for eaiser access to the diffs and gearbox. upgrade to heavy duty diff cases and a dual disk break setup maybe.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:25 PM
itsnotskidding

im racing dude!!....

i have chronics tvp.... very good, strong and sexy as hell!!, i have an o.s 30vg, hpi thrreaded allu shocks, and hongnore dish wheels with badlanders, hi-tec servos and i cant wait till feb for the second round of the winter series, but to be in with a chance you do need the basics and handling is more important than power, (in a way).. and practice, all the best and i hope you post some pic, il be doing mine when my tvp come in post this week!!...

p.s cheers chronic!..
Old 01-28-2007, 03:09 PM
Chronic

My recommendation would be to give your current setup a "race tune" and go see how it handles the track with some practice laps, see what it needs for you to be happy.

If you really want to race... LCG TVPs, a GOOD set of race tires, race worthy servos and radio gear, better turnbuckles and adjustable upper arms so you can easily set the toe and camber... other than dialing in the setup with the proper fluids and adjustments, that willl be a good start.

Those aluminum towers you are talking about will open the door to much better shocks. You can have a ton of fun on some properly prepped stock shocks, but they are less than ideal for racing. If you want to stick with them for now, I would recommend starting with .5" internal limiters, orange or orange/green springs, and 30w oil.

The most important thing is to have a good attitude and practice-practice-practice. I'm just getting back into racing myself, because the local track is now running a production MT class. I haven't even practiced on a clay track with this truck in 6+ months... me and my $1600 Savage are probably going to get our butts handed to us by near stock trucks the first few times out. It's mostly about YOU and your driving/setup talent. The truck is just the tool.