Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

ARF building Question

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

ARF building Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2003, 09:11 PM
AC2
My Feedback: (34)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ARF building Question

Hmm, not sure if this is a new forum or just never noticed it before?
Anyway's here's a question: I've built at least 3 Great Planes large Arf's and the thing I noticed about all of them is that none of em suggested putting a strip of glass down the center section of the wing. I've done it anyway's as a matter of habbit from building numerous balsa kits. Why is this never mentioned and is it not neccessary? Seems to me that it would be mentioned?

Thanks!
Old 02-06-2003, 09:47 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's an engineers job to do just that... engineer a kiy so it doesn't fall apart, but is still light enough to fly. When you build a kit, the wing halves are put together, then (in some kits) they are glassed at the root, then covered. In an ARF they are already covered. So they are engineered to go together without the FG under the covering.
Old 02-06-2003, 09:55 PM
AC2
My Feedback: (34)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Makes sense to me!

Now that I think of it from the designers point of view, Thanks!
Old 02-07-2003, 03:07 AM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It is not really necessary to glass the wing center section if you use plenty of strong expoxy to join the wing halves. I use 2-hour expoxy to join my wing together and let the expoxy fully soak into the wood and cure for a couple of days. After hundreds of flights, none of my wings have yet to fold.