Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Monocote puckering, help!!

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Monocote puckering, help!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 04:40 PM
skoda450

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monocote puckering, help!!

Every one of my models that has monocote covering on a solid balsa surface eventually develops puckers. I have tried Balsarite on the wood prior to covering but no help. What can I do to prevent/correct the unsitely puckering?
Old 02-21-2007, 04:44 PM
dant-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Monocote puckering, help!!

Use Ultracote (Oracover)!

Dan
Old 02-21-2007, 04:47 PM
skoda450

Yeh, I discovered that this winter. Wonder full stuff and a GREAT finish, but that doesn't help all the monocote cover puckering on my existing models.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:26 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If the Monokote was improperly applied, it will always wrinkle....it has to be STRETCHED when applied, not shrunk!
Old 02-21-2007, 09:40 PM
Safebet
My Feedback: (12)

skoda450: I have a "Big Stick" which is covered in MonoCote. This is the method I use to get rid of puckers or blisters or bubbles (usually longer than wide) or whatever:

Take my exacto and poke 3 or three holes in each one. Take the heat gun and heat the blister and then wipe with folded paper towel. Heat and wipe down, and so on.
You can use the iron, also. Just turn up the heat until you can hold the iron on the surface for a moment and see the color of the covering change slightly. Lay iron on bubble
for moment (don't press down, just lay it on the bubble) pick up iron and wipe down with folded paper towel. Works good. Sometimes you have to go back on the longer ones
and poke another hole or two and do again.

Don't leave the gun or iron on too long, just get the bubble hot and then wipe it down.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:07 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Once the Monokote is already applied it's really hard to fix it. The best bet your going to have it to so what Safebet recommends.

Ken
Old 02-21-2007, 11:34 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find I do better without Balsarite. The Balsarite seems to produce gas when it gets hot during ironing. But yes, Safebet's method has worked for me. Basically, pop the zit with a pin. The pin hole closes up as the monokote cools and is not visible.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:48 AM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

I agree o the Ultra Cote and the repair procedures above. I have an eight year old Ultracote covered Waco that has never been touched up and there are no wrinkles.

The real key to both Ultracote and Moneycote is the "wiping" with a towel. Actually, I use a soft cloth so as not to mar the surface. Heat an area until there is a slight color change and immediately rub with the cloth and a bit
of pressure. Tedious maybe, but easier than popping bubbles.
Walt
Old 02-22-2007, 09:20 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Regardless of whether you use MK or UC, if they are not applied correctly, they will wrinkle.

The number 1 rule is to apply them to a clean, dust-free surface. It's amazing how much dust can collect in that woodgrain.

So before covering, shake/bang/rattle all of the dust out that you can, and then wipe it down with a tack cloth (Or a rag sprayed with spray adhesive)
Old 02-22-2007, 09:38 AM
deckerv
My Feedback: (21)

One of these would help too.. but don't go crazy with it

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHZ26&P=0
Old 02-22-2007, 05:11 PM
skoda450

I was wondering if some one would suggest the "woodpecker" as a substitute for *****ing with a pin. Some of the models have hunderds of 1/2" - 1" long puckers. Even an ARF from China.... I guess you get what you pay for...