Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

How to improve better paint adhesion on plastic covering?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

How to improve better paint adhesion on plastic covering?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 12:22 PM
Dai Phan
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to improve better paint adhesion on plastic covering?

Hi all,

I know that scuffing the Ultracote with steel wool will improve paint adhesion but I still have problems with paint peeling off on masking tape. Do you know of any paint like Testors or something similiar that "bites" well to treated plastic covering? DP
Old 02-26-2007, 02:36 PM
SPLIT S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How to improve better paint adhesion on plastic covering?

It's difficult to scuff all the way up to the tape line so the paint gets a good bite clear to the edge. A couple of suggestions for you. First use fine line vinyl tape if you have access to it. Leaves a very sharp line. Don't let the tape on too long that the paint has a chance to dry too much on it. When you pull the tape back it will tend to peel it off the covering up to the point that the paint bit into the scuff mark if left on too long. Auto body jobbers have plastic adhesion promoters in spray cans that you can use to improve the adhesion. One very light coat, it's mostly solvent depending on the brand, and then paint. Works great.

Good luck,
Dan
Old 02-26-2007, 04:12 PM
Dai Phan
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How to improve better paint adhesion on plastic covering?

Thank you for the reply. The problem I have is that the plane is the GP Fokker DVII at 36 inches WS. Too many paint layers will make the plane heavy so I am going to make my own waterslide decals and apply them. That way I won't have to deal with masking tapes for the crosses. DP