Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Savage Spur gear

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 02:45 AM
blkz2801

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage Spur gear

Well guys Im on the darkside and have a T-maxx. My boss has a SavageX and he is going through spur? gears like crazy! I dont know what it is and niether does he. What ever is happing, its chewing teeth all the way down to were the truck wont move. Anyone have any insite on this? Oh yea, we replaced the original with a replacement and after just half a tank, all the teeth on his new gear were gone!
Old 03-18-2007, 04:30 AM
boydie1

Default RE: Savage Spur gear

Is he setting the mesh right (about a doubled over piece of paper thickness)? Is he landing jumps with the throttle still on? Are his engine mount or engine plate brace screws tight?
These are just a couple of things to check first
Old 03-18-2007, 07:47 AM
Polar_Bus

ORIGINAL: blkz2801

Well guys Im on the darkside and have a T-maxx. My boss has a SavageX and he is going through spur? gears like crazy! I dont know what it is and niether does he. What ever is happing, its chewing teeth all the way down to were the truck wont move. Anyone have any insite on this? Oh yea, we replaced the original with a replacement and after just half a tank, all the teeth on his new gear were gone!
Many people mistake a stripped spur for a MELTED one. In all my years of Savage bashing I have never "stripped" a spur. I have "chunked" severall teeth from sucking rocks, and also from slamming something head on, and the clutchbell, strips severall teeth (I crank my spur preload nut tight). In my experiences far more guys melt spurs, thinking the teeth are stripped from bad mesh. I have found out if your mesh is a tad tight, or loose, you won't really have any problems. Melted spurs happen from a dirty or worn clutch, which heats up the clutchbell, gets it real hot, and then passes heat the the spur, melting it. Once you overheat a clutch, the clutch springs become "laxed" and will never work correctly thereafter. So tell your buddy to replace his clutch, set his mesh so the spinning action is smooth and quiet, and he should be good to go! (Bashing off road with 18T+ clutchbells will also quickly smoke a clutch )
Old 03-18-2007, 02:53 PM
blkz2801

thanks guys, it just didnt seem right for him to go through so many spur gears!
Old 03-18-2007, 03:57 PM
Chronic

Wasn't there an issue with the slipper clutch on the Savage X when it first came out? It seems like people were killing spurs left and right until they switched back to the old style slipper. Not sure, but that might be one of the reasons.

Mine is now wearing one of the new X SS steel spurs, but I never had any problems with the plastic ones after I got the clutch sorted out like Polar Bus was talking about.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:03 PM
BicketyBam

Just out of curiosity, would you consider this stripped?

Old 03-19-2007, 06:43 AM
Polar_Bus

ORIGINAL: BicketyBam

Just out of curiosity, would you consider this stripped?

This spur is "chunked". This happened from a pebble(s) being jammed in the teeth of the clutchbell. A melted spur will be ground down all the way around the outside of the spur. I also see some "glazing" on the slipper pad. This will happen, to minimise this, clean the pad with alcahol, and sand the steel disc surface of the slipper assemble to "rough up the surface". This gives the slipper clutch better bite, and wont slip as much.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:25 AM
BicketyBam

I've gone to a steel spur, but thanks for the tips.