Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

OIL QUESTION

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

OIL QUESTION

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 10:16 PM
payj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OIL QUESTION

I just bought MERCURY PREMIUM PLUS outboard oil for my boat. I would like to know what ratio of oil to gas I should run. Some people say 7-8 oz to a gal others say 10 oz so Im a little confused.

Thanks,

Justin
Old 03-21-2007, 10:36 PM
JFACKY

Default RE: OIL QUESTION

what oil/fuel ratio does it say to run through the engine in the owners manual. it should have a chart on the back of the bottle of how much oil to add per gal. of gas for a specific ratio. at least they did maney years ago when I ran outboard motors and you had to mix the oil and gas. now-a-days they're all oil injected.

The lower the number the more oil you need to add. a 25:1 ratio would need twice as much oil per gal. of gas as a 50:1 ratio.

also, If this is a new engine, I would mix double the ratio for the first 4-5 tanks to help with run-in. (exp.) if the manual calls for 40:1, I would mix at 20:1. for the run-in.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:09 PM
yeeharacing

ORIGINAL: JFACKY
The lower the number the more oil you need to add. a 25:1 ratio would need twice as much oil per gal. of gas as a 50:1 ratio.
Something doesn't sound right here.... is this right?
Old 03-21-2007, 11:49 PM
JFACKY

Yes it's absolutly right. with a fuel/oil ratio of say 50:1, It's fifty parts fuel to 1 part oil. now if it's 25:1 it's 25 parts fuel to 1 part oil. by adding more oil to a given volume of fuel, it will bring the total fuel number down.(less fuel and more oil for a given volume) does this make it easier
Old 03-22-2007, 12:34 AM
ernest2

i think so
Old 03-22-2007, 02:45 AM
JFACKY

if a fuel/oil ratio of 50:1 has 3oz. of oil in for each gallon, then a f/o ratio of 25:1 will have 6oz. oil in it for each gallon
Old 03-22-2007, 04:36 AM
fastguy
Banned

ORIGINAL: yeeharacing

ORIGINAL: JFACKY
Something doesn't sound right here.... is this right?

rember math class yea you are right a 25:1 ratio would need twice as much oil per gal. of gas as a 50:1 ratio
Old 03-22-2007, 08:16 AM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Justin - Get a 1 Gallon container - add 8oz of oil. Fill with fuel. Your all set.

Theres a lot of info out there but much of the Plane and Car info is bad info for a boat. A boat motor is working hard the whole time. the added oil will help with cooling and give you some added protection if you overheat.

These motors may run very low mix ratios but you may junk your motor the first time it gets hot. Seen it happen.

You wont use any more plugs with this mix ratio. You will use a little more oil and see a little more smoke but it will make the same power and be some added insurance if something goes wrong.