Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

is this a cy engine ??

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

is this a cy engine ??

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 05:51 AM
rickburnout666

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: is this a cy engine ??

Bullseye??? that`s a complete miss of any target
Put it this way ,
if I ran a new Zenoah engine in and followed everything in the manual to the word but it broke , I would then be able to take it back to the seller, and explained what had happened, I would get a replacement or MY hard earned cash back, without a doubt,
BUT,
if YOU ran a new Zenoah engine in, running it rich and run it flat out with 20:1 of quality oil, but it broke, and YOU went back to the seller, and explained how you had run it in , he would probably say did you read the manual??? WARRANTY NULL, AND VOID, NO REPLACEMENT, AND NONE OF YOUR HARD EARNED CASH BACK!! no doubt
I guess the manual is a bit unclear to some ,

No specific break-in is required
The engine is gradually broken-in as it is used
No specific break-in is required.
and the power output is also gradually increased
None of the above mean
"run rich and run it flat out using 20:1 of quality oil"
Old 03-18-2007, 06:07 AM
John Howell

ORIGINAL: rickburnout666
and the power output is also gradually increased
None of the above mean
"run rich and run it flat out using 20:1 of quality oil"
LOL... what exactly does it mean then?

If your engine failed and you the seller didn't want to warranty it because of the way you ran it in, I think No specific break-in is required NULL AND VOIDS your argument.

The manual is pretty clear to me.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:23 AM
rickburnout666

I guess what i mean is, try taking a blown engine back to the seller, and see if you can get a refund after you have told him your used and preferd method of running it in , and If you get a refund, well done, and i`ll eat my hat [:'(]
Old 03-18-2007, 06:41 AM
John Howell

Well you aint gunna blow a Zenoah running it rich with 20:1 unless there is a factory fault so the point is moot.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:54 AM
rickburnout666

so now you have dropped your Flat out claim, as flat out is obviously not running in, Flat out is done after the running in has been done ,( point is moot.) is that a typo or an Australian saying [sm=confused.gif]
Old 03-18-2007, 07:28 AM
MrMikeG

I saw one of those engines run today, it was stock and definetly doing more than 10k even with a bad pipe. I think if you canged the coils it would run the same as a zen.
I do the 5 heat cycle thing too.
The first zen 260's had tight pistons and were noterious for seizing.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:40 AM
wayneuk01

so would u all agree that for £67 + shipping its not a to bad a purchase for someone who intended on keeping the engine stock and a fun boat.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:52 AM
rickburnout666

if i didn`t have the zens i already have, i would deffinitaly get one for a starter boat , go for it (dont know if we will all agree) [sm=confused.gif]
Old 03-18-2007, 09:02 AM
RhesusMinus

Break in procedure could be discussed for ever, and there is no real answer, just opinions. Zenoah state no spesific break in procedure, and power increase after use etc etc. The only parts that need to break in is the piston and ring. Zenoah is a high reving engine, but with a low piston speed, because of the very short stroke. A Zenoah reving 17000 rpm have a piston speed of about 15.8 m/s, compared to a GP 125 bike with up to 25 m/s. As long as you dont run lean, and allow the engine to warm up properly, I dont see why you cant go WOT With such low piston speed. As the piston speed increases it is more difficult to maintain a proper oil film to avoid metal to metal contact, and a possible seizure. Just my opinion.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:04 AM
wayneuk01

iam not looking at purchaseing one just thought they may be handy for others as apposed to a air cooled weed wacker (not nocking them ) engine or converting a leaf blower etc .. also makes u wonder if u could join them togeter and make them twin inlines .
Old 03-18-2007, 11:11 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wayne stop trying to cause trouble you begger i have to admit at £67 they are a great buy and like some have said the quality is probably not that bad they just need a few mods doing to get the best out of them.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:34 PM
wayneuk01

THAT WAS NOT AIMED @ U MATE OR ANY ONE WHOS GOT A ENGINE JUST IF ANY ONES GOING TO BUILD UP A BOAT OR GOT A HULL OR CAN GET ONE ITS WORTH CONSIDERING AS IT WOULD BE A GOOD START INTO THE HOBBY
Old 03-19-2007, 05:45 PM
MrMikeG

I'm 50/50 on it. If you want to up-grade later just get the Zenoah to start with. You loose about 1/2 your money on second hand boat parts so reselling later and buying a zen is going to be costly. If you just want to tool around and never race or go faster then it is a good buy.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:09 PM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

id buy them they can soon be modded if done right !!.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:14 PM
MrMikeG

They would need both coils replaced as well if you modded them, by the time you replace coils, carb and intake manifold you could have bought the Zen.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:05 AM
mike oxfat

Right i have just got into gas boats a short time ago, the engine is deffinitly not a CY engine as i have bought one and used it for the last month , so all the people that are bad mouthing them should stop talking out the back of their heads cos you appear to know nothing about them, first off it revs well above 10,000 revs ive had it on the tacho so thats official, secondly its not poorly made , i have raced my boat against identical boats running with zenoah engines a 231 and a 260, at the end of the day i was the only person who never had to do any repairs on the engine , its running with a cooper pipe that i got for 5 quid off one of the other guys as he got a expesive named brand pipe,i also run with a wrap to center header pipe , and a 275 walbrough carberetta, thirdly i did not have to change my coils, ran it in graduly on a 25/1 mix of TT shell mineral oil im happy with the engine but unhappy with the tear assing it has recieved,
Head down to fleetwood and you might see me there, but be prepared to be beaten, and proved very very wrong
it was money well spent
Old 03-22-2007, 10:01 AM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Mike Oxfat - Since you are a little newer to the hobby perhaps you may consider some of your own advice.
the people that are bad mouthing them should stop talking out the back of their heads
You sound to have experience with just this one motor. Running against guys who may or may not know what they are doing.

Your motor is a clone of a Zenoah by the sound of it. Does that make it worse - who knows. (I have seen plenty of Rolex copies that keep good time - but they are no rolex). But just because you have managed a few hot laps from your motor does not make for a tried and tested testemonial.

It is great that you have had good experience with it so far and good that you share this experience. But you may be careful about being too critical of others who give caution over this copy. They are not trying to keep people from saving money - they are trying to give good experienced advice.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:15 PM
MrMikeG

I'm fairly sure it is made in the CY factory too, just not the CY's that we are used to. Good to see a 4 bolt head, can only mean better things to come.