Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

How do you mount your radio box?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

How do you mount your radio box?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 02:55 PM
mhayes462

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you mount your radio box?

I would like to know how everyone else mounts theirs. My freind has a Lazer 45 and his is held down with hooks and a rubber-band. Or can I epoxy it to the hull/rails, screw it, or something else? What is the best way?
Old 03-25-2007, 03:05 PM
Believe It
Banned

Default RE: How do you mount your radio box?

mine have a screw on each side going into the stringer. Put silicon on the threads so it makes a seal while going through...good to go.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:15 AM
BMAD01

mhayes, I'm currently putting a new radio box in a Stryker for a buddy at the lake. I epoxied the box to a piece of 1/4" plywood. It is going into a 3 point mount in the hull. There is a piece of ply epoxied to the bottom of the tunnel with an angle cut in it for the wood on the bottom of the box to wedge into. Up front is 2 pieces of oak epoxied to the bottom of the hull for the ply on the box to sit on. I'm using 2, small 90* aluminum brackets and bolts thru the stringers to hold the box into the hull. I am using Speedmaster servo mounts with a piece of plywood underneath them epoxied to the bottom of the radio box, inside. (Speedmaster mounts come with the ply) The reciever platform is epoxied to the bottom of the box also. What I'm getting at is - The least number of holes you have drilled thru the box, the less chance for water to get in. This setup as only 3 holes drilled thru the box in it. Two for the pushrod seals, (Aeromarine) and one pinhole for the antenna lead. There will be 1 more hole drilled thru the lid for the on/off switch. I know this is a Cat setup, but the same principle could work in a V hull. Hope this helps, Brian
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57628.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	199.6 KB
ID:	650252   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17375.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	193.2 KB
ID:	650253   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jp32145.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	167.7 KB
ID:	650254   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wq42117.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	203.9 KB
ID:	650255   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mx22953.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	163.6 KB
ID:	650256   Click image for larger version

Name:	Of59004.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	650257   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ya55504.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	162.1 KB
ID:	650258  
Old 03-26-2007, 07:19 AM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

use some CORROSION X and you won't need a leaky radio box
Old 03-26-2007, 08:25 AM
rickburnout666

Fix the box to the stringers with screws, and still use CORROSION X ,for double the safety, Without a box means fixing sevos,batteries,reciever/s fail safe and whatever else you use to where ?? no radio box is not exactly what i would call, the neatest option, but does work OK for some people who spend too much on CORROSION X , and cant afford a UN-leaky radio box ,
plus i prefer my 6v , 2000 mah batteries, and leads to be in the unleaky radio box, just incase the boat takes a dive
Old 03-26-2007, 11:33 AM
Believe It
Banned

ORIGINAL: rickburnout666

Fix the box to the stringers with screws, and still use CORROSION X ,for double the safety, Without a box means fixing sevos,batteries,reciever/s fail safe and whatever else you use to where ?? no radio box is not exactly what i would call, the neatest option, but does work OK for some people who spend too much on CORROSION X , and cant afford a UN-leaky radio box ,
plus i prefer my 6v , 2000 mah batteries, and leads to be in the unleaky radio box, just incase the boat takes a dive
i agree.... not too sure i want all my electronics in the open in the hull. After flipping my boat on the 2nd (or 3rd) lap in a heat at last club race and sitting dead wood for a bit, so much water was in the boat that it was up over the radio box. Now i have no problem running exposed servos, as the steering servo in my cat is exposed, i just rather have it all in a box if its doable for the setup.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:30 PM
edmkills

I use the same basic set up as bmad but my servo mount screws go through the box and into but not through the ply epoxied beneath.
Still basically leaves only 3 holes.

[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43230.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	650433