Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

A "new" fail safe question (I think...)

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

A "new" fail safe question (I think...)

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 03:32 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts
Default A "new" fail safe question (I think...)

Hi guys,

Maidened my thunderbolt yesterday and the boat kept dying on turn 4 (boat coming at me from right to left, in a right hand pattern) which I was able to determine was my failsafe kicking in, just like it should....ahhh...This was when the most part of the boat was between me and the reciever. I was also standing at the waterline when these events took place.

Now for my question. What is the best way to set up the failsafe? I got tired of paddling out for the boat and thought that a setting to idle with a big circle might be a better choice as it might get the boat back in range. How about just idle and straight? I can imagine it getting far away from you and never coming back....

I've re-done my install. I have a spectrum(more on that later... ) reciever with the small antenna (2 inches long ish). Initially I had it installed on top of the steering servo but have now moved it so it is farthest away from any electronic component. I now will also stand above the water line as well.

I've read the issues some folks have had with the spectrum stuff and the water, but I intend to make my stuff work! Thanks for sharing your knowledge!

Raf
Old 03-28-2007, 06:30 PM
MrMikeG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: A "new" fail safe question (I think...)

Get better batteries and use a "Y" connector, you are getting a voltage drop that is kicking your failsafe in. Turn 4 is known for this as your boat is going the fastest and your rudder is drawing the most power AND it is furthest away.
Old 03-31-2007, 06:29 AM
Scorpio145

From what I have heard about spectrum units make the antena atleast 4" in length.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:32 AM
Believe It
Banned

i had the same issue you were having. Everytime id come around bouys 4 & 5 the boat would just quit. Made no sense since the battery pack was showing 5.8v... put another pack in that i had charged the night before, and didnt have a problem the rest of the day.
Old 03-31-2007, 07:11 PM
John Howell

ORIGINAL: ravill
I was also standing at the waterline when these events took place.....
I've been told that this can cause problems with the spectrum gear and can be reduced if you are elevated from the water line.