Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Prestwich puma advice plz

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Prestwich puma advice plz

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 02:04 PM
GTee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prestwich puma advice plz

I have a kyosho Nitro Viper GT which I love but its coming to the end of its life (Hull has had too many repairs) so I am thinking of replacing it with a Prestwich Puma with the sc.61 engine. I have asked a few people about deep v racing boat and they have advised me not to bother. they say that they are no good for just blasting around a lake and are only good for circuit racing that is why the rudder is always on the right hand side of the boat cause they only go round a clockwise circle and dont turn very well to the left, is this a load of crap?. Has anybody got any input about deepv's that are not used for racing but only for blasting around a lake

thanks
Old 03-31-2007, 02:11 PM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Prestwich puma advice plz

my boat has a ruddeer to the right and turns better right but still ok left had its first outing today,as for race boats not turning both ways thats crap ,an offset rudder will mean you turn better right than left but so what!!.daves boats are some of the best hulls going too and any advice you need setting it up ask him hes only too glad to help.i built my boat myself as are lots of guys on here i have a build thread on here too and a vid of this mornings test run check it out here!!.[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5452887/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm[/link]
Old 03-31-2007, 02:22 PM
Euan

Gtee,
the Prestwich hull with a sc 61 will make a great fun boat it will turn just fine both left and right ,i have a few different boats and to be honest the ones with an offset rudder turn far better than the ones with a strudder/ in line with the prop rudder set up.
As for circuit racing in the UK ,i believe NORC in the south east of England do race oval heat racing,at the moment its not as popular as Offshore OMRA style racing,a few years ago the NCRA raced all over the country with a large section from the north east.
i tent to use Herrington park lake but have become dissalussioned with always being the lone boater and some hassle from the tree huggers .
have fun Euan.
ps try a nice clean petrol motor rather than the dreaded glow fuel?
Old 03-31-2007, 02:25 PM
GTee

I forgot to add that when I get used to the boat and funds permit I would like to upgrade the engine to a Zenoah would this be an easy task from an nitro to petrol?
Old 03-31-2007, 03:45 PM
Believe It
Banned

ORIGINAL: GTee

I forgot to add that when I get used to the boat and funds permit I would like to upgrade the engine to a Zenoah would this be an easy task from an nitro to petrol?
would really depend. If you plan to put a Zen in it, make sure you run a 1/4" flexshaft. Most standard zen mounts are for 5" rails, while most nitro mounts are for 4" rails. So you'd need to figure out if you can get mounts for either motor for either rail setup.
Old 03-31-2007, 04:51 PM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

build a woody i got a great deal on my weedy engine on ebay i paid 15 quid and she runs great she was brand new and Euan has the same one in a cpl of his boats.petrol is easier and cheaper to run also.my boat cost me arround £150 to build and fit out with hardware engine etc.also its great knowing you built it all yourself,i have plans if you want em? just send me your email if your interested.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79547.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	653834  
Old 03-31-2007, 05:07 PM
w3bby

The Puma is probably a little small if you are planning to upgrade to a Zenoah later, a Panther would be a better choice. As regards hulls for beating around a lake, a pedigree hull will always outperform a dog, sure left turn suffers a bit but who cares when you are going fast
Old 04-01-2007, 02:26 AM
GTee

ORIGINAL: martno1fan

build a woody i got a great deal on my weedy engine on ebay i paid 15 quid and she runs great she was brand new and Euan has the same one in a cpl of his boats.petrol is easier and cheaper to run also.my boat cost me arround £150 to build and fit out with hardware engine etc.also its great knowing you built it all yourself,i have plans if you want em? just send me your email if your interested.
I could probs get an engine cheap enough as I work in the tool hire/repair industry but I dont realy know what other parts I would need, Well yes I do but its a bit confusing all the different sizes and things thats why I thought I would go the easy way and buy a Puma as a kit with all the hardware included.