Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

BVM Balsa Bandit build/ LG /retracts on a Budget????

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

BVM Balsa Bandit build/ LG /retracts on a Budget????

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 06:35 PM
SJN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: BVM Balsa Bandit build/ LG /retracts on a Budget????

Got a question for you Bandit guys :-)

My friend has a Super Balsa Bandit, and he is struggling with it on takeoff.
It zig-zags like crazy down the runway until it rotates into the air.

He has managed to keep up with it, until today. It veered off into the grass, and broke the nose clean off [:@]
At first he had quite alot of steering on it, but on the last flight, he only used about 10% servo travel, and it did not seem to help the problem.

Anyone had this problem ?
Whats the solution?

He has been thinking of getting a nose gear that has the wheel raked backwards to get the shoping cart effect, for stabilizing it hopefully.
Maybe also a heading hold gyro....
Old 04-08-2007, 06:46 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The zig-zag typically happens if you are not holding in a bunch of up elevator at the start of the take-off roll. The bandit has this peculiar behaviour that as the speed builds up the nose-gear seems to "tuck under" under load, causing some pretty vicious swings from side to side ; holding in up elevator from the start prevents this.

Been there, done that, busted some wings to prove it.

Gordon
Old 04-08-2007, 07:26 PM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gordon, you are right again. The Bandit series will "Snakedance" down the runway if the proper take off procedure is not used. It's very simple................

Page 61 of the Super Balsa Bandit construction manual states:
"Set the flaps for take-off position. (input two clicks of up elevator for the first take-off.) Hold full up elevator for the takeoff roll until rudder authority is established. The Super Bandit is failrly nose heavy with full fuel on take off, so expect about a 200 foot roll and a fair amount of up elevator (3/4") to rotate."
I have built and flown six of them, and they all act the same on take off.

The BVM instruction manuals are written while the prototype is being developed. Changes are incorporated when it is discovered to need change, or if a part design does not fit. The design is changed, and the change is incorporated in the manual and full sized drawing.The manual and plans are the result of many hours of development, testing and hard work and are a very comprehensive document. You will not find a better set of instructions in any jet kit.
For these instructions to be of benefit, you have to read them.
Tell your friend that he doesn't need a gyro or a new noseleg with more caster. Please ask him to read pages 61 through 63 in the instruction manual, and he will have more success. The entire control system set-up is shown, all of the control throws are noted, and the entire flight profile for the first flight is contained within the instructions and plans.

Good luck to ya.....

Harley Condra
BVM REP
JetCat REP
Old 04-08-2007, 07:55 PM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Or buy this: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXHHS2&P=ML

I have used them with 100% success in many many jets on nose wheel steering. Works like a charm.

Also for you RC truck/ car enthusiasts, try one of these on the steering in those, and open up a whole new world of control on your RC vehicle.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:24 AM
SJN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for all the tips guys, im sure it will help alot. [sm=thumbs_up.gif]