Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

TMaxx 3.3 or Savage X?????

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 01:40 PM
jrw874

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TMaxx 3.3 or Savage X?????

Ok, Im planning on purchasing a MT with in the next two weeks and have been doing some research on both truck but still cant decide on what would be a great first truck. I hear great things on both trucks. I want a tough, fast and reliable truck for bashing. Also I 100 miles from hobby store so when i purchase whatever truck can u give me an idea of what common parts that break easliy and that i will need to stock up on. Thank for any help.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:59 PM
go-to
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: TMaxx 3.3 or Savage X?????

ORIGINAL: jrw874

Ok, Im planning on purchasing a MT with in the next two weeks and have been doing some research on both truck but still cant decide on what would be a great first truck. I hear great things on both trucks. I want a tough, fast and reliable truck for bashing. Also I 100 miles from hobby store so when i purchase whatever truck can u give me an idea of what common parts that break easliy and that i will need to stock up on. Thank for any help.
I've owned both and would say (as would everyone else in this forum) that the Savage is a much more reliable basher. The T-MAXX guys would disagree of course, but from experience having owned both I would not buy another T-MAXX.

I've never broken my monster truck, but then again I don't beat the trash out of it either. You just never know what may break...that's the deal with this hobby.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:34 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Savage X, in particular, Savage X SS kit! Since you are only bashing, the Savage is the way to go. The T-Maxx unfortunately is not as good a basher; it is built more for light weightedness and handling; these are designs geared more for racing. The Savage is a tank though but its handling is not the best. But you can beat the h3ll out of it before something breaks. (You really have to hit something pretty hard with your Savage before something is damaged).

If you get the bug to race later on, the Savge can be made into a racer, but considerable modifications and hop-ups will be required. For racing monster trucks, I would not recommend evn T-Maxx for that, I would recommend anothr Traxxass truck, the Revo. With moderate upgrades, the Revo can be made into a durable racer that retains handling superior to that of even a T-Maxx.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:29 PM
ashenfang

I have owned both. Here are the pro's and con's of both, then you make up your mind;

Savage X/ XSS (i own the XSS)

Pro's

1. build your own truck and learn about it on the way
2. Excellent construction and sturdiness all around
3. Metal diff cups, dog bones, and differentials
4. Heafty lower and upper A-arms
5. Can drive over just about anything
6. Great jumping

Con's

1. Handling a bit rougher than other monster trucks
2. Possibly more expensive to fix depending on what you break (if you actually do break something)
3. Not the fastest truck around, but will do about 40mph

T-Maxx

Pro's

1. Good handling
2. Lower center of gravity
3. Pretty quick 45mph stock
4. Decent at jumping

Con's

1. Wimpy A arms
2. Plastic dogbones and diffentials
3. Underpowered engine
4. Engine very finiky, and not the best engine design
5. Not a good basher, and doesn't tollerate all driving conditions well

Again this is all personal experience being that I have owned both. When I had my tmaxx, I babied the thing, and still broke some items. My engine only lasted 2 gallons before it croaked, and it was broke in properly with the heat cycle methode.

Both traxxas and HPI have good support, but in my opinion, HPI is top notch. They take the time to awnswer all of your questions on the phone, and even sent me a new fuel tank due to mine having a hole in it. All free of charge.