Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Wow what a difference!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 04:10 AM
kurtf5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wow what a difference!

Ok so i ran out of O'Donnell 20% RTR blend and bought some O'Donnell 25% Racing blend.
All i can say is WOW! What a huge difference this new stuff makes.
With the RTR blend i had a slow accelleration and the engine bogged, top speed always sounded weak to.
But with my new fuel i could lean the HSN about half a turn and the car is awesomely fast! The front wheels kick up when the car shifts into second. And it has cured my starting problem where i had to give the car throttle to start, but now i just hit the rotostart for 2 seconds and the car starts with ease, even from cold.
I didnt touch the LSN as i was pulling wheelies easily, but i will have to continue tuning because when the tank got to about a quarter my carb came loose which opened the throttle slightly so i had to stop, plus the risk of air leaking in from the carb seal.

One thing though, even when racing around going WOT a lot of the time the engine didnt go over 230F, it stayed mostly around 190-220F, ive always had this problem with my Savage, no matter what i do (tuning wise) the car never gets very hot. Unless i put a sock on it and then it gets in the high 290's.

Any advice?

But i recommend O'Donnell Racing blend, its like my car has NOS installed compared to the RTR crap.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:45 AM
natz

Default RE: Wow what a difference!

RTR = ReTaRded.

Nah, just a better fuel I'd say... +5% nitro, and better blend = more bang bang! Wish we had some of that stuff available here though, all I can get from the LHS is no name stuff that doesn't list any stats.

Your temp is most likely just due to the low ambient temps. But maybe try the aluminium foil trick, and not the sock?

Just curious... but how many turns on your HSN?

Old 04-10-2007, 05:00 AM
kurtf5

ORIGINAL: natz

RTR = ReTaRded.

Nah, just a better fuel I'd say... +5% nitro, and better blend = more bang bang! Wish we had some of that stuff available here though, all I can get from the LHS is no name stuff that doesn't list any stats.

Your temp is most likely just due to the low ambient temps. But maybe try the aluminium foil trick, and not the sock?

Just curious... but how many turns on your HSN?

Outside it was around 20C. Too warm for foil really.
I dont know how many turns, i'll check later though.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:01 AM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Less oil means good crisp acceleration and less chance of a lean bog that you cannot tell do to high oil content. I assure you the less oil content did more then 5% nitro did. Too much oil can do much more harm then good! You just now ran out as we talked about this a couple months ago. I go throw at least 2 gallons a month. Matter of fact in the pass week I have gone through ¾ of a gallon.
Have fun!
Old 04-10-2007, 10:33 AM
kurtf5

ORIGINAL: 46u

Less oil means good crisp acceleration and less chance of a lean bog that you cannot tell do to high oil content. I assure you the less oil content did more then 5% nitro did. Too much oil can do much more harm then good! You just now ran out as we talked about this a couple months ago. I go throw at least 2 gallons a month. Matter of fact in the pass week I have gone through ¾ of a gallon.
Have fun!
Yea i dont use it in the cold, but its getting warm now.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:57 PM
Vigilante212

Did you have a cold glow plug on there that could be another problem of the bogging. My friend has some 30% sidewinder fuel I think it is since im using 20% blue thunder race blend im curious how much it would help. I know odonnells has less oil then blue thunder does. Im not sure if my LHS carries it though.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:52 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to switch around between Odonnels 20% Race, Byron 2000 Race 20% and Traxxas 20%. Traxxas fuel made my car bog down and sputter. Way too much oil even for traxxas engines. Byrons is a great fuel, the engines run ver reliable on it and has a great balance of top speed with low end. Odonnels is ok because my car didnt run the best with it. It made my engine a bit more troublesome and tended to run on the lean side. Also, low end was improved yet my engine sputtered and hesitated on top speed hence the lean problem[8D] My favorite fuel I have ever used next to Byron's has been Sidewinder with Klotz oil blend. Awesome fuel, it felt like my car had a supercharger in it I definitely want to try Trinity Monster Horsepower but the only carry 30% here and all I run is 20%. If you havent tried it definitely try out Byron's and Sidewinder, great fuels![8D] I love paying 20 bucks a gallon for all brands of nitro and different percents[8D]
Old 04-11-2007, 08:13 PM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's two sides of the coin when it comes to fuel. Higher oil content for longer engine life and lower oil content for maximum performance. You can't have your cake and eat it too....but the fuel companies are getting closer as the technology progresses.[8D]
Old 04-11-2007, 08:24 PM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

i ran 30% and my engines will run from 200s then at the end of the tank the temps is around 235s..idk if thats good or bad..
Old 04-12-2007, 03:31 AM
kurtf5

ORIGINAL: gravediggerracing

There's two sides of the coin when it comes to fuel. Higher oil content for longer engine life and lower oil content for maximum performance. You can't have your cake and eat it too....but the fuel companies are getting closer as the technology progresses.[8D]
Damn, i'm in the mood for cake lol.
O'Donnell isnt too hard on the engine really. Ive tuned my other car now, before the idle was too high on my old fuel, and WOT from standstill was boggy as hell. My old fuel caused a lean bog on both my cars, and thats fixed now.