Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Ultra Stick .60 and fuel tanks?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Ultra Stick .60 and fuel tanks?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 04:47 PM
Geardaddys

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultra Stick .60 and fuel tanks?

Hey all.. wondering if any of you can make good recommendations on a larger fuel tank for an Ultra Stick .60. I have one with a Tower .75 and although I have not found out long the fuel tank (8oz) will last me, I would like something with a few more ounces.. I bought a 12 oz round sullivan at a LHS and it didn't fit (and I didn't feel the need to do lots of chopping to make it fit if there was something out there that would work better).

Anyway, lets hear whatcha got!

Old 04-11-2007, 06:20 PM
pumbadog

Default RE: Ultra Stick .60 and fuel tanks?

I've had the same thought on mine but the best solution I could come up with was to cut away the top of the fuselage and turn it into a hatch. As you know the problem with getting a larger fuel tank in there is the bulkhead you have to go through to get it in there. The hatch idea wouldn't be hard to do, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:24 PM
skull1971

thought they came with a 11oz tank? depending on how you run the engine 12-14 minutes. I have one with a saito 100, and at 12 minutes I can land with 1/3 tank full.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:50 PM
Geardaddys

Pumbadog,

Yes, that is an idea.. You could also probably dremmell out some of the bulkhead to get something larger in there, just didn't want to take the dremmel to a new plane like that!!

Skull, I think that it's an 8oz tank.. I use a handcrank manual, fuel pump which if I'm not mistaken puts out about 1/4 oz per turn.. anyway, takes me about 30-32 turns to fill 'er up.. I've noticed that after a 5 minute fight, I'm putting about 3oz back in, so I could probably get a safe 10 minute flight out of it..

Old 04-11-2007, 06:52 PM
oldhippy1
My Feedback: (21)

MAYBE YOU CAN CONTACT DUBRO BY EMAIL http://www.shopatron.com/search/101....anks&submit=Go
Old 04-11-2007, 06:56 PM
Geardaddys

Well, I stand corrected.. According to the US manual, the tank is a 10.8 ouncer.. Suprises me though that it takes 30 cranks to fill..
Old 04-11-2007, 09:13 PM
delman

Take a look at the sullivan flex tanks - I had one [12 oz]in my 40 size ultrastick for my 91fx. I did have to cut a hatch to put the tank in with foam around it. My 60 size has the stock tank with the 91fx.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:26 AM
Cobra1
My Feedback: (42)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best way would be to cut a hatch on top so a larger tank will fit. I don't think it is a good idea to weaken a former right at the leading edge of the wing by grinding it away. The hatch is very easy to do. I did this on mine and it took about an hour total.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:06 AM
Geardaddys

Delman, I'll look into the flex tanks, thanks for the suggestion.. I think that I saw them at the LHS a while back.. I really thought that my tank was 8oz, but since the book says 10.8 I may just wait a bit and add 1 minute to each flight to find out how much time I have.. the five minute flights that I've been putting on it go REALLY fast..

Cobra, hey! Missed ya a few weeks ago.. Fingers are crossed for good wx on Saturday this week.. Went out about 2 weeks ago and did some "crow" landings... WOW! Took me 5 minutes to taxi it to the pitts from the far end of the runway where it stopped.. lots of fun..
Old 04-12-2007, 09:32 AM
flashingred
My Feedback: (2)

I used a DuBro 14 oz. tank in my Ultra Stik and the tank fit right in without any problems. I had enough room top and bottom and on both sides of the tank for foam to prevent fuel bubbles.
I ran a YS .91 Air Chamber on mine with a 16x4 wide blade prop and I needed the extra few ounces of fuel.

Flashingred
Old 04-12-2007, 10:09 AM
Cobra1
My Feedback: (42)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, landing with CROW engaged is like landing with a chute behind the plane. Maybe saturday will be good. Fingers crossed.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:24 AM
Ernie Misner

Did you pick a tank yet? I used a sullivan 12 oz. ? shaped much like the stock tank and it fit right in there. Let me know if you want the part number.

Of course you know you should put the servos in the back and battery to the rear of the compartment also, or you WILL come out way nose heavy, right?

Ernie
Old 04-12-2007, 11:51 AM
Geardaddys

Flashingred and Ernie,

Thanks for the direction.. The airplane is done and has flown 10-15 times now.. I did have to put both servos in the back to get the thing to balance.. It flies great, just would like a few extra ounces.. (I've been known to go around on occasion)..
Old 04-12-2007, 12:02 PM
Ernie Misner

How do you like your stick? Go with the flap option? I have a ST 90 on mine and no flaps.... mousse can pipe, and boy does it have the poop.

Ernie
Old 04-12-2007, 03:30 PM
Bruno Stachel
My Feedback: (4)

I guess I'm late, but maybe it will help someone searching this topic. I just recently installed a Sullivan 16 oz. flex tank in my US 60. I just gently squeezed it in, no mods. It actually went in fairly easy, and I was able to get foam all around it. It's probably more tank than I need - and I'll probably have some nose heavyness early in flights. But, I had it for another plane, and decided to use it instead of buying another.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:29 PM
Geardaddys

Ernie,

Yes, I did set my plane up with the flap option. I've been playing with the flaps/crow and all of the other stuff that it can do.. Last week I was doing "short field takeoffs" with about 25% flaps.. WHOA.. I couldn't believe how quickly that thing gets off the runway.. This is really my second plane (well, maybe third if you count a foamy!) and it sure is a ton of fun..

Bruno, thanks! I think I'll try a 12-14 oz tank and see if I can squeeze it in there.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:01 PM
Ernie Misner

Forgot to mention that with my 12 oz. sullivan tank and ST 90 engine, I am flying for 12 minutes and still have quite a bit of fuel left.

Ernie
Old 04-12-2007, 09:47 PM
waynem
My Feedback: (58)

Geardaddys, I am flying a U S stick set up just like yours. Running a Tower hobbies 75 with the stock tank. I can fly it 12 to 15 minutes and have some fuel left in the tank. I have not measured to see how much it holds. Take it up high and time it, I think you will be supprised. hope this helps. Wayne M.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:15 AM
Geardaddys

Waynem, wow.. I'm suprised that you get that much run out of a tank! I'll keep pushing mine a minute per flight and see where it gets me. Just didn't want to run a new plane out of fuel and destroy it! The fella at my LHS said that I'd probably only get 5 minutes per tank... (me thinks he was mistaken!) Thanks wayne!