Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

ARF Stab attachment help

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

ARF Stab attachment help

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2003, 03:38 AM
SpockF4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ARF Stab attachment help

Please excuse me if this is a dumb question. I did a search but wasn't able to find any info. At any rate, when building an ARF it is usually necessary to remove the monokote from the stab and fin so that you get a wood to wood glue joint. The instructions always say to be "careful so as not to cut into the wood when cutting the covering" What is a good method of removing the covering in the area needed without cutting into the underlying balsa. It seems that as careful as I try to be, I always end up at least scoring the wood slightly. Does anyone have a good technique for this???? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Ken
Old 02-23-2003, 04:49 AM
76.ta
My Feedback: (39)

Default cutting monokote

Please excuse me if this is a dumb question. I did a search but wasn't able to find any info. At any rate, when building an ARF it is usually necessary to remove the monokote from the stab and fin so that you get a wood to wood glue joint. The instructions always say to be "careful so as not to cut into the wood when cutting the covering" What is a good method of removing the covering in the area needed without cutting into the underlying balsa. It seems that as careful as I try to be, I always end up at least scoring the wood slightly. Does anyone have a good technique for this???? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Ken

Ken,
this is not a dumb question. mark where you want to cut and use a new blade.hold the blade on the line and lift the covering that is going to be removed to where the pressure of you lifting against the blade cuts the monokote. you do want a wood-to-wood joint. it takes a little bit to get started but once you have a good piece of monokote to hang onto it moves right along. only put enough pressure on the blade to hold it against the covering and not enough to where you slice through it into the wood. let the lifting of the monokote that you're going to get rid of do the cutting. after finished cutting, you can iron down the edge then glue your tailfins on. hope this helps.

roy
Old 02-23-2003, 05:47 PM
SpockF4

Default ARF Stab attachment help

Roy,
Thanks for the info. I knew there had to be an easier way to do it, I just couldn't come up with it! Your technique looks like it will do the trick. Thanks again.
Ken