Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

What fire extinguisher??

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

What fire extinguisher??

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2003, 04:37 AM
GSR
My Feedback: (145)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What fire extinguisher??

Hi, What are the opinions out there about fire extinguishers?? Halon-vs-CO2. I was wondering about thermal shock to the wheel if you used CO2-but this might be unfounded. Haven't had to use one yet but you never know. Anyway didn't know so I bought one of each.(isn't that how it is with turbines!!) Scott
Old 02-23-2003, 04:58 PM
GSR

Thanks Todd-exactly the information that I wanted to know. Scott
Old 02-23-2003, 05:55 PM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Here in the UK, use of halon becomes illegal at the end of this year except in certain full-size aviation situations. It is because of some international agreement to cut the use of CFC's I think. The USA may or may not be taking part in this agreement. CO2 is being used instead of halon.

Harry
Old 02-23-2003, 08:56 PM
GSR

Hi Todd, as I remember the dry chemical powder is also quite corrosive and death to electronic circuitry. Scott
Old 02-23-2003, 09:13 PM
vortex00
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Halotron

I believe the follow on to the Halon is Halotron?
I got mine at Grainger's for $75 2.5lb unit.

Jack
Old 02-23-2003, 11:04 PM
vortex00
My Feedback: (22)

Default halotron

good link-thanks

Jack
Old 02-26-2003, 12:52 AM
Big Jet

Hi at one jet meet they shot co2 at the rear of my jet some of the powder got sucked into my turbine and got on the turbine blades and made it out of balance when running had to send it back to have it cleaned
Old 02-26-2003, 01:31 AM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Big Jet
Hi at one jet meet they shot co2 at the rear of my jet some of the powder got sucked into my turbine and got on the turbine blades and made it out of balance when running had to send it back to have it cleaned
CO2 is just gas how did it become a powder are you sure it was a CO2 extinguisher could it have been a dry powder extinguisher instead ?

Gordon
Old 02-26-2003, 02:51 AM
six shooter

CO2 is just gas how did it become a powder are you sure it was a CO2 extinguisher could it have been a dry powder extinguisher instead ?
That's a good question Gordon, I would like know the answer to that one myself.

Might have been dry powder type, but if they were pointing it at the exhaust. That's the wrong end to be trying to put out a hot start. The extinguisher should go into the intake. If using Co2 or Halon, one quick squirt is all it take to suppress a hot start.

If actual material is on fire like the fiberglass, then water is the best to use followed by dry powder. As far as damage, it has always been an issue when fighting a fire what does more damage, the fire or the effects of putting the fire out.
Old 03-21-2003, 09:35 AM
doctor jason

The best one to use is CO2 as it does no damage on contact on the surface other the possability of shock cooling.
Old 03-22-2003, 02:55 AM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

Default some useful info

There was a Fire Extinguisher tech servicing the extinguishers in our building, so I took the opportunity to ask him a couple of questions. I'm glad I did.

Halon extinguishers are still legal in Canada - except in boats. However, and a big however, the Halon is not composed of perfect inert gases. One of the component chemicals when exposed to heat above 675 degrees Farenheit will breakdown and produce Chlorine gas - a deadly poison. (which is why it is illegal in boats with their enclosed engine rooms). This temperature is well below the normal operating temps of our turbines and certainly well hot start temps. (it also is an ozone depleter)

Also, dry chemicals used in extinguishers are extremely corrosive. The fellow showed me his aluminum step bumper which is exposed to the chemicals from recharging the extinguishers, and it was well corroded....something to keep away from turbines.

That leaves CO2.....the only downside is that the fog does contain solid CO2 - dry ice, and that could have themal effects on the internal components.

Some info to help you make your choices......