Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Rit Dye

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2002, 03:56 PM
racine2000
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rit Dye

I bought some rit dye to tint the canopy on my sportster. I used the spray tint before but had small bubbles and had to darken it more than originally intended in order to "fix" it.

Anyone have tips on using rit dye? I already cut the canopy, so when I submerse it, how do I keep it from resting on the bottom of the pan, or does that matter?

Thanks!

Ron
Old 02-19-2002, 04:25 PM
Dugster

Default Rit Dye

Ron,

Rit dye is very flexible stuff. You can do it cold, just takes a lot longer, but won'twarp the plastic. Or better yet put the canopy in a metal strainer then put that in the pan, that way the canopy doesn't touch the hot bottom. Set the temp as low as you can and keep a close eye on it.
Old 02-19-2002, 08:52 PM
snsmith
My Feedback: (5)

Default Rit Dye

Maybe I expect too much, but I can't get a deep tint with Rit dye. I just finished my second canopy last night and while it looks better, it really isn't as dark as I would like.

The canopy is from a Midwest G-202 and I used three packs of black dye in about 8 gallons of hot (really hot) water. Soaked it for ~6 hours and it came out a sorta brownish tint. Repeated with 2 packs of navy blue dye in hot water for ~3 hours more and it's a nice blue tint, just not dark. Am I missing something?
Old 02-19-2002, 09:24 PM
Dugster

Default Too much water

I would have tried 2 packs in the smallest pan that would fit the canopy. Soak it for 48 hours or more, if that's what it takes to get the shade you want. Also, from my experience heat doesn't seem to matter much, it's concentration (lot's of dye, little water) and time.

And yes, black almost always comes out brown, use dark blue.
Old 02-19-2002, 10:06 PM
cubfan

Default rit dye

You might try to clean the canopy with vinger before you put it in the dye.
Old 02-20-2002, 06:36 PM
XLR8

Default Rit Dye

Those guys are right. Black is OK if you are going to soak it for about a week, and you will get a DARK tint. I have had the best luck with Rit powder, Denim Blue being the color of choice. Also, some canopies tint better than others.... I did one on an Ohio Sukhoi one time that took about 3 soaks to get it as dark as I wanted it to be. If heat is a concern, just use it cold. Leave it in there as long as it takes to get the tint to your liking!
Old 02-21-2002, 05:48 AM
flyingcubby
My Feedback: (35)

Default Dye

Just remember to use one heaping tablespoon of salt for every half gallon of water to insure the tint stays..Regards Mike
Old 02-22-2002, 05:31 AM
rcman-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Default RIT dye

Be very careful when using hot water. I used about 150 degree water and ruined a plastic canopy and cowl. Both pieces curled up and were unusable. The replacement parts cost me $40.
Old 02-22-2002, 02:01 PM
racine2000

Default Rit Dye

Thanks for the replies-

I am not in a hurry and will make sure I don't get the water too hot. If it has to soak a while it is no big deal, I'll save that part for last. Thanks again for the advice

Ron