Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Solartex

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 03:09 PM
Uncle Heinkel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solartex

Solartex is wonderful stuff. I've been fiberglassing for so long that I forgot how good Solartex is...

I'm building an airplane with an undercambered airfoil. In the past, I've used Coverite and other fabrics and they would always pop loose from the deepest part of the undercambered airfoil in spite of every precaution taken, such as Balsarite, etc. I used to remedy that by quickly ironing the covering down and then running a bead of thin CA on the inside of the covering where it contacted the ribs. This held it in place but made removal impossible without destroying the ribs.

I started covering with Solartex last night and was pleasantly reminded of how easy it is to use. It stuck to the undercambered ribs tenaciously with no help from Balsarite or anything else and it looks great on my antique plane.

It goes around corners and curves better than any iron on that I've ever used. Also, it doesn't fray when cut like some other fabrics I've used.

I generally don't like covering with iron ons but Solartex makes it almost painless and enjoyable!

Great stuff...highly recommended!

H.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:59 PM
BWooster

Default RE: Solartex

I didn't know it was still available. I agree. It's really good stuff, but it's disappeared from these here parts.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:07 PM
gsmith6879
My Feedback: (37)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Available from Balsa USA. I just used it on a 1/3 scale Sopwith Pup and love it.

http://www.balsausa.com/coverings/it...=38&shopperid=
Old 09-20-2005, 11:54 PM
Uncle Heinkel

Yep, I got mine at Balsa USA. I'm using the linen color and it looks great on an antique type airplane. They have all of the standard colors and extra long rolls as well. If you want to see the colors, search this site for Solartex...someone attached the color chart in an earlier thread.

H.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:23 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just use all white solartex and paint it with rustoleum. You can get a good dope looking finish on it.
Edwin
Old 09-21-2005, 12:14 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Right on, Solartex is an excellent product and; believe it or not; quite a bit less expensive in $/sq.in. than most other coverings.
Old 10-02-2005, 02:01 PM
Reg Hinnant
My Feedback: (9)

One thing you might try on surfaces that require stronger adheasion (undercambered wings, fabric to alum, etc) is the fusable fabric bonder sold in sewing stores. Its a heat activated film that works very well in model applications. One brand is STITCH WITCHERY® 100% polyamide fusible web for bonding fabrics together without stitching. This stuff works when Balsarite, etc does not.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:10 PM
Norm Nestie

Have also used Solartex and liked it so much that I want to cover a new Cub with it. But, not being able to find it up here in Canada I was told that Worldtex is the same product. I hope so as it looks like that's what I'll have to order.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:17 PM
Uncle Heinkel

Norm, I've heard that all of the "Tex" fabrics are made by the same company. I tend to believe it but that is second or third hand information and I wouldn't bet money on it. There have been a few versions of it in years past. I think even Goldberg had their own "Tex" offshoot years ago as well. Something else to consider, even if they are made by the same company (in England, I think), that's no guarantee that they are all made to the same specs.

You can order Solartex from Balsa USA...unless the exchange rate makes it too expensive.

I'd like to know for sure myself if they are all the same. Maybe someone here has some inside info.

If you use Worldtex, let us know how it compares to Solartex.

Thanks!

H.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:06 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have used Worldtex, Colortex and Solartex, and; other than color, all appeared identical in application and ease of use.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:39 PM
avionette

hi
can i use for busa 1/4 pup monokote film?
Old 04-15-2007, 11:37 PM
John Sohm
My Feedback: (9)

I wouldn't recommend it. If you want to make a more realistic finish, I'd stay with a woven fabric type covering like SolarTex or WorldTex. The plastic films just look terrible on a 1/4 scale WW-I type plane. Get the antique linen color for the entire plane and then paint the upper surfaces and sides.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:57 PM
RVM

How heavy is Solartex compared to films?