Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Covering repair

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Covering repair

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 02:10 AM
TGCharlie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Covering repair

I'm a newcommer to the posting aspect of this site although not the site itself. So far I've read alot of interesting & helpful stuff. But what I haven't come across yet is any info on covering or covering repair.
To be perfectly honest, coverings scares me to death. My repair methods have been the use of vinal. Although it works, colors don't match & is somewhat heavier.
And right now I'm in need to repair the underside of my mustang wings where the gear tore out.
Advise & help needed.
TGC
Old 04-29-2007, 08:36 AM
Flying freak

Default RE: Covering repair

Covering used to scared me too just get your self an iron that is ment for monokot and a heat gun, make a patch larger then the whole itself )about 1/2 inch over lap is what i use while yes it is more then needed) iron it on starting in one pont and just work you way around untill you sealed all the edges, when this is done take the heat gun a slowly heat it up till it shrinks (watch you dont burn through..)

Here is a link to a covering thread http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4385133/tm.htm the videos are helpful tot ake a loook at
Old 04-29-2007, 08:45 AM
mvallyman
My Feedback: (32)

We were all scared of it at one time. Get some covering, a hobby iron and try learning on practice pieces of balsa. Ultracote to me is easier to work with, use lower heat to apply it (225-250 deg.) and higher heat to shrink it over open area's. dont press on it with the iron, the iron's wieght is enough. It took me about 8 hours to do my first stabalizer doing it several times, the plane came out great and things became faster as I did more.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:47 AM
TGCharlie

Thanks for the advise & the video links. They will be a great help. I do have an old Avistar carcuss I can practice on.
TGC
Old 05-02-2007, 09:49 PM
flyinjay

newcomer, sounds like you have an old airframe around the shop. just strip it down, and dont forget to clean it up. use some filler where necessary,then sand the whole thing with 600 grit sand paper. the reason for all this is,you may just surprise yourself.i didnt know i could do it either, but this method of learning created one of the best looking planes in my hangar. dont forget to use a sock on that iron, and start with low heat ,use low preasure and go slow. you are only limited by the amount of effort you are willing to put into it. good luck. flyinjay
Old 05-03-2007, 09:09 PM
Hareman
My Feedback: (1)

Just wondering ... is it necessary to remove the adhesive that remains on the wood when you remove the old covering if you are going to use the same color monocote as that which you remove?
If so, what will take the residual adhesive off?
Old 05-04-2007, 06:19 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's not necessary to get all of it off. You should be more concerned with getting it smooth
Old 05-04-2007, 06:33 AM
heli_Rod

Another useful tip, is to remember to trim the corners of patches with a radius. Leaving a 90 degree pointed corner will allow the patch to start coming loose at the point. A radiused corner will stay on much better.

Rod