Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Carbon fiber pushrods

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Carbon fiber pushrods

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 10:53 AM
CB36

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon fiber pushrods

Hi all;
I'm nearing elevator/rudder pushrod install in my new kit build and have a set of CF rods. The plans call for the traditional balsa/wire rod, but it's rather bulky near the back of the fuse, so I thought I may go with CF.

Looking at these rods and ends, the instructions say to JB Weld the provided ends to the appropriately cut rods. This will yield a fairly thick rod protruding the fuse.

Any other methods out there?

Thanks!!
Old 05-17-2007, 09:54 PM
bgold

Default RE: Carbon fiber pushrods

Use the titianium ends from Central Hobbies, they have a barbed end that JB Welds into the push rod and either a 2-56 or 4-40 thread end. 3/16 diameter cf rods and the ends are smaller very neat and unbelievably strong. I've used them on big gassers and they are lite weight.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:49 PM
phjoker
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Carbon fiber pushrods

this is how I made mine
First, set up your linkage using the clevises and the all thread rods cut to the proper length. You
can make all your pushrods at once, so get all those rods set to the right length. If you use a
metal clevis, be sure the pushrod goes all the way into the threaded section, plus a little to allow
a range of adjustment. With plastic clevises the rod should screw
into the clevis about 1/2 inch to be sure there is sufficient strength.
Measure each pushrod, and cut a piece of carbon-fiber tube that is 1 1/2” shorter than the rod.
Slip the tube over the rod and tighten down a nut from each end so that you leave an equal
amount of thread at each end to mount the clevis. Tighten the nuts slightly so they don’t come
loose and so there is a little tension on the rod inside the tube.
You’re done. Install the pushrods.