Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Rock Crawlers
Reload this Page >

Weight distribution / Center of Gravity

Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

Weight distribution / Center of Gravity

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 07:54 PM
ASSOCIATED_DRIVER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weight distribution / Center of Gravity

I am in the very early stages of building a rock crawler. Still acquiring some parts, It will be powered by 2 6-cell packs, with 2 Tekin ESCs, and 2 motors. I have purchase a sheet of 3.1 mm thick sheet of aluminum to cut for my own design chassis.

I am just wondering if it would be better to place the batteries in front, or center. It would be great if I can get ideas on the layout of the electronics (battery, ESC, Motors, RX). It will have a center diff, where the two motor will mesh on one spur. (Similar layout to an XTM X-faxtor. Actually considering just converting my X-factor to electric)

Thanks,
Old 05-14-2007, 09:16 PM
bigmodman

Default RE: Weight distribution / Center of Gravity

the longer it is =lower center gravity,the shorter=the highest center gravity.and put the batts in the mid
Old 05-14-2007, 09:24 PM
hands without shadows

Put it as far forward and down as possible. If you can get the cells on the axles or in the wheels thats as good as your going to get. With all the weight forward the COG stays forward when you start climbing stuff and you wont roll backwards.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:36 PM
MikeSSS

Last night I mounted my battery on top of the front end top-links. Previously it was in the chassis over the front end top-links.

It rained today so I didn't get to test it to find out what difference it made. I video the tests to see if changes make things better, worse or no change.