Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

I'd like to find an RV-3 or RV-4,.. at 100 inches...!!

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

I'd like to find an RV-3 or RV-4,.. at 100 inches...!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 06:22 PM
wilga12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'd like to find an RV-3 or RV-4,.. at 100 inches...!!

I've done lotsa reading and lotsa searching here and other places..I'm hoping that you fellas here in "Giant Land" here at RCU,can help me past my lack of success...

I currently have one of the Lance Engineering RV-3 foam core planes @ 90 inches in span. I know there will come a day when my luck will turn and I will no longer be able to piece the crash remains together again, to continue flight of my RV-3, so I'm looking to find a back-up or replacement for her. This time though, I'd like to up the wing span,.. a little...

Can anyone tell me of a place to find an RV-3 or RV-4 as an ARF in 100 inches..?? The best that I think that I'm going to be able to do is find a "Kit Cutter" that will be able to cut me a "Kit" ,...That is if I can first find some one with some plans for the "3" or the "4"..??

Thanks to all who may jump in here to offer some help..................Dave..
Old 06-11-2007, 10:32 PM
rcmigpilot
My Feedback: (26)

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: I'd like to find an RV-3 or RV-4,.. at 100 inches...!!

A 100" RV3 would be just over 40%. It won’t be an ARF, but have you tried calling Vans? Everything is on computer now, maybe they would be willing to shoot some cross sections down to the scale you want. Those guys are really into thier stuff and they would probably get a kick out the project. For the wings and tail all you need are the dimensions and the airfoil numbers. Flyingfoam.com cuts fantastic cores on their CNC cutter. For the fuse a set of bulkheads with station marks is all you need. An RV3 canopy is probably close enough to a lot of war birds that you should be able to find something already out there that will work. The only real issue is the cowl, but that shouldn't be too hard to make. And if you're going to scratch build, why not just go 50% and make all the math easy. You'd end up with a 119" span plane that would really stand out at the fly ins. Hope this helps.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:14 PM
Jim Messer
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: I'd like to find an RV-3 or RV-4,.. at 100 inches...!!

The only way you are going to get an RV the size you want is to design your own. I designed a 40% scale RV-6 - wingspan is 9.5 ft., and it is powered with a GT-80 twin. Finished weight is 33 lbs., and it is complete except for the rear canopy. Windshield is finished and installed. Radio is Spektrum DX-7.

Following are a couple of photos I took today in my garage. Was getting my 30% Stinson SR-10 ready to fly when these pictures were taken.

There is a complete build thread on the RV-6 in this forum. Look for it if interested.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq45655.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	702747   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24402.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	702748   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va71505.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	58.9 KB