Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

SOLARTEX USER - HOW TO APPLY DECALS?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

SOLARTEX USER - HOW TO APPLY DECALS?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 07:25 PM
Safebet
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SOLARTEX USER - HOW TO APPLY DECALS?

I am covering a GP J-3 Cub in "Cub Yellow" Solartex. Is it ok to use the "windex"method to apply decals?
Should I gently iron down afterwards?

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jim
Old 06-14-2007, 10:50 AM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: SOLARTEX USER - HOW TO APPLY DECALS?

ORIGINAL: Safebet

I am covering a GP J-3 Cub in "Cub Yellow" Solartex. Is it ok to use the "windex"method to apply decals?
Should I gently iron down afterwards?

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jim
After applying the decals and they have dried, I suggest going over the edges with a trim iron to adhere them better to the fabric.

FWIW - While the instructions for Solartex state the covering can be cleaned by scrubbing, my experience (and others also ) is that the exhaust WILL STAIN THE COVERING. What I do is to apply all my decals and any additional painted details, then clear coat the entire plane. This does several things. It seals the decals in and seals the weave in the fabric so that staining does not happen. The clear coat (a thin - medium coat ) does not hide the weave.

If you decide to clear coat the plane, ironing the edges of decals with a trim iron should not be needed. As a plus, the clear coat blends the edges of the decals in so they look painted on.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:02 PM
Safebet

Thank you, Campy. I will do as you suggest. I will clear coat after decal installation. Campy, I have you ever used Top Flite LustreKote Clear Gloss to clear coat ?

I have purchased a can to do the Solartex with. You think it would be ok? I have used it on a twin I finished with satisfactory results. It was painted with Krylon.
Don't do it in high humidity though because it will cloud. It is Fuel proof.

Thanks

Jim
Old 06-14-2007, 06:34 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Safebet

Thank you, Campy. I will do as you suggest. I will clear coat after decal installation. Campy, I have you ever used Top Flite LustreKote Clear Gloss to clear coat ?

I have purchased a can to do the Solartex with. You think it would be ok? I have used it on a twin I finished with satisfactory results. It was painted with Krylon.
Don't do it in high humidity though because it will cloud. It is Fuel proof.

Thanks

Jim
I have used Lusterkote, however, my experiences with Lusterkote (clear and colored ) have not been good. EVERY can of Lusterkote has "spit", although others have had no problems luck with the product. I now Use Ultracote clear for clear coating and usually latex for my colors for painting.

FWIW - I have done some experimenting with clear coats. My results (the good ones anyway ) are:

Oil base polyurethane: WILL yellow in about 6 - 8 months. I have found it to be fuel resistant (dried for 7 days before exposure to glow fuel), however others have reported it to be fuel proof (I do not know how long they let theirs dry before exposing to fuel residue ).

Water base polyurethane (MinWax Polycrylic - Flat, Satin, Semi-gloss and Gloss): Does not yellow with age, however it is fuel RESISTANT WITH THE FOLLOWING CAVEATS:

1. Do not expose the clear coat to any exhaust residue for a minimum of 7 days.

2. Do not let the exhaust residue remain on the plane for over 4 hours. After 4 hours the finish begins to soften.

"DupliColor ACRYLIC Clear Enamel" (gloss only ): This is available in many auto supply stores (Auto World, etc.) 2 thin - medium coats
applied 4 - 5 days apart and the 2nd coat allowed to dry for 72 hours is FUEL PROOF with 10% nitro. It may be good with a higher nitro content, but all I use is 10%.

Old 06-14-2007, 08:28 PM
Safebet

Thanks Campy, I appreciate your experience and your taking the time to answer.

Jim