Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

my finished scale tlt

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 11:07 PM
aircruiser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my finished scale tlt

stretched to 1/10th using traxxas links, stock driveshafts with a piece of 1/8th inch steel rod wleded between

specs: 55 turn integy, tekin reble 2 esc, futaba S3003, pirahna 1900 nimh 6 cell

I extended the chassis using some 22 gauge steel I cut with a jig saw and mounted the shocks vertical to eliminate binding as best I could and it also greatly reduces torque twist.

center, front and rear diffs are also all locked.

I mainly run a dodge ram body which I like best but when my dad drives his stock TLT with moab 2.2s, he likes to attempt to run over my truck and Id rather run something other than the ram when I run with him.

So here's my other two bodies I run (my dad's is the stock TLT)

the hummer looks good from the front but is to long so th wheelbase is waaaay off.

on to the main body (will be a gray one later on)

1.9s?

at northern (semi-dock) and I added a CB antenna because running under the body the range was about 3ft [:'(] With the CB it is about 10ft. Still sucks but what do ya do

and todays carnage pictures.

turned to hard in the parking lot and rolled the truck. Upper screw and nut on shock loosened up while crawling and the roll made them both fly off the truck. CB antenna also fell off (CAed on, ziptied on next)

let me know what you think [8D]
Old 06-08-2007, 11:19 PM
wolfattak

Default RE: my finished scale tlt

Not bad, not bad, but its a bit on the tall side and ..... thats NOT scale
Old 06-09-2007, 03:37 AM
bckyrdbshr
My Feedback: (35)

Way to tall....
Old 06-09-2007, 11:37 AM
Lumpmister

That is not a scale truck. You should consider buying a new chassis. Then you can really make it look scale!
Old 06-09-2007, 06:54 PM
CustomTamiyas4Life
My Feedback: (34)

If it's scale it has a 30" lift
Old 06-09-2007, 07:56 PM
aircruiser

holy jesus you guys are picky!

its not meant to be like a super scale rig with hand woven seats and actual working A/C!

its a budget built crawler and it is tall but what do ya do.

I dont have that much money if any at all and I like to build stuff so I made this using extended links and custom driveshafts. Its a great rig and IN MY OPINION has the looks to add to it.

I know that alot of people here run buggies and stuff like that and this isnt the best looking rig but with the new body coming itll look better.

And by the way, its not meant to look like a stock ram. there are alot of real rigs out there that look weird

like this

so when it comes to the term "scale" it all depends on what kind of vehicle you are building after. In my build, I saw a lifted dodge ram that looked sweet and wanted to build up a ram and make it capable at the same time. Thus, my rig. It is alot of fun.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:24 PM
dezfan

I think they meant that it should look more like a real street-able rig.

That is what is commonly called a "scaler".

Heres a pic of a "scaler"!

Your rig looks nice though!
Old 06-09-2007, 09:34 PM
carmatic1

your truck looks nice, but theres more to scale than just a proper body and the correct wheelbase to match it, it might even involve sacrificing its crawl-ability in order to mimic a real vehicle.... imho, you shouldnt refer to anything that belongs to you as something which other people have spent way too much time and effort on, unless you have a very good reason to
Old 06-09-2007, 09:34 PM
wolfattak

ORIGINAL: aircruiser

holy jesus you guys are picky!

its not meant to be like a super scale rig with hand woven seats and actual working A/C!

its a budget built crawler and it is tall but what do ya do.

I dont have that much money if any at all and I like to build stuff so I made this using extended links and custom driveshafts. Its a great rig and IN MY OPINION has the looks to add to it.

I know that alot of people here run buggies and stuff like that and this isnt the best looking rig but with the new body coming itll look better.

And by the way, its not meant to look like a stock ram. there are alot of real rigs out there that look weird

like this

so when it comes to the term "scale" it all depends on what kind of vehicle you are building after. In my build, I saw a lifted dodge ram that looked sweet and wanted to build up a ram and make it capable at the same time. Thus, my rig. It is alot of fun.
no1 ever said your rig was bad it's just, imo, You shouldnt be calling it scale.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:20 PM
aircruiser

ORIGINAL: carmatic1

imho, you shouldnt refer to anything that belongs to you as something which other people have spent way too much time and effort on, unless you have a very good reason to

I dont know if its just me, but im not really getting what you mean in this message.

Anywho, I cant lower the body anymore because the chassis is right at the bed as is now. I could lower it by getting some touring car shocks but I dont really want to do that seeing as I built up this truck to make it more capable than stock.

sorry for going off there guys, I just sensed that by saying it wasnt scale right away meant that you was dissin my ride yo

Monday hopefully I'll get the new body (same ram) and paint it up dark grey with smoked taillights and black stripes. Even though it isnt the scalest of rigs, I still consider it scale because the wheels arent sticking up to bad and the wheelbase does match up. But yeah I have seen alot more scale rigs but im happy with it so im gonna leave it as is. Just get the new body and maybe add a few touches like some lights or accesories in the bed of the truck..
Old 06-09-2007, 10:52 PM
wolfattak

I have a sugestion, mount the suspention further in on the chassis but in the same place on the axles so the suspention anles inward from bottom to top. this should lower your ride a bit(lower the center of gravity) and improve the flex the only catch is your suspention might not be quite strong enough(too soft) to handle that style setup (it should be strong enough) and your rides center chassis clearence will suffer a bit...experiment by angleing the suspention. if your goin at making a scale rig though this setup isnt for you(it doesn't look realistic) but if you'd rather have higher performance try it out.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:11 AM
aircruiser

yup, that was the first suspension setup I ever tried and the reason I made the chassis extension. The TLT shocks binded like mad and even with locking nuts the nut on the other side eventually found its way loose. I like this setup and for now, Im done building this rig and am going to have alot of fun with it!!

and in the mean time keep working on my other project!!

and yes the body on that will be a little higher to clear the tires and will have a flatbed with a whole mess of scale accesories

that ford is my mudder
Old 06-10-2007, 09:13 AM
Nasher

Nice. What body is that?
Old 06-10-2007, 09:53 AM
carmatic1

normally, peoples trucks sit low , but if you picked them up they would look exactly like your truck, because they run softer springs... unlike normal cars, downwards travel of the shocks is as important, if not more important than, upwards travel in crawlers....
you'll get a lower cg and your truck would 'hug' the ground, compared to having stiff springs that lift it way up and dont allow it flex any... but dont get it too soft, otherwise it just 'slumps' into holes and stuff and doesnt put enough pressure on the wheels to pull itself back out

what i meant by 'you shouldnt call it something what other people call it' , is that people already have a pretty definite idea of what 'scale' is , where it looks at least as realistic as the die cast display models you find cheap in shops... scaleness in rc crawling is a big plus because in real crawling, there is also alot of customization , and this customization factor is something that the die cast toys cant touch, so if you can get your custom crawler to look something like a display model, it will be really nice
Old 06-10-2007, 02:32 PM
aircruiser

nasher: that is a tamiya midnight pumpkin cab

carmatic: yeah just this build was a budget. All I bought were traxxas links all around to extend it and some 22g aluminum to extend the chassis. Thats all Ive done. besides getting the stock driveshafts extended which cost me $1 for some 1/8th inch steel rod. But other than that, nothing else has been done since it was bone stock.

I guess I dont really care anymore if you all consider it scale or not. I'm just very happy with the way my rig turned out and performs and put this up as a guide on how to build up a TLT for under $20.
Old 06-10-2007, 05:22 PM
T I G

Originally Posted by aircruiser
I'm just very happy with the way my rig turned out and performs
Thats all that matters my freind.

Your other project is coming along nicely. What chassis is that? Looks like a peice of steel or aluminum. I like it.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:49 PM
carmatic1

is that a custom aluminum plate chassis?
Old 06-10-2007, 09:26 PM
aircruiser

yep, it is a TA02 and I cut a chassis out of 16 gauge steel so it is strong. I think my ESC I originally used is fried so it might not run for awhile. []

it still needs the motor skid which im going to make soon and the body mounts and bed..
Old 06-11-2007, 11:34 AM
carmatic1

escs arent that much money to buy, unless you are into those hardcore no turn limit racing competition ones that cost $$$ ... a reversing one with a reasonable turn limit shouldnt set you back more than 50 bucks, i guess? like they arent the cheapest thing in the world but ...
Old 06-11-2007, 01:16 PM
aircruiser

yeah, $50 is still a little more than I want to spend. I think my little brother has an old XL-1 he might sell to me..
Old 06-12-2007, 08:48 PM
CustomTamiyas4Life
My Feedback: (34)

Ebay is the way to go IMO. Just with electronics, watch who you buy from and ask questions.
Your rig's a nice start for sure! My first upgrade as longer links and shafts back in the day when I drilled and tapped all my links by hand, it was horrible looking back at it, but it was a start Sooner or later you'll catch the bug and do something crazy, it's addictive when you realize what changes small mods you do make, and you dont want to stop. You gotta get on aim more man, I'm building a new crawler myself
Old 06-21-2007, 11:57 PM
jamesie

and yes the body on that will be a little higher to clear the tires and will have a flatbed with a whole mess of scale accesories

no keep it like that then lock up the front tires so you could have a cool smoke show.
Old 06-23-2007, 06:19 PM
killersavage

grant,
i have a speed controler that i think id be will to part with. ill talk to you about the next time i see you.