Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Using servo extensions.. tips needed

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Using servo extensions.. tips needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 12:23 PM
vmsguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using servo extensions.. tips needed

OK... Here's what I want to do.

I installed a servo in each wing to control the ailerons. I need to get wires to them. I put feed tubes in the wing ribs, so I can feed an extension to the servos.

I'm puzzling over "best practices" for using servo extensions, y-cables, and the like.

Here's my questions:

1. What do y'all do with the wires in the servo bay? I mean, you've got the extension sticking in there, and then the several inches if wire coming out of the servo. Do you just tie the wire up?

2. I was thinking of pushing an extension cable through, connecting the servo, and pulling it back out a ways (pulling the joint into the tube somewhat) taking out the slack. I was hoping to get by with shorter extensions that way. Is this recommended or not?

3. Where servo extension wires join? Do you any special method or hardware to prevent the connections from coming undone? If so, examples/links please.

Any tips, trips, would be appreciated.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:48 PM
AERORICH73

Default RE: Using servo extensions.. tips needed

Hi there vmsguy: Your will probably get several suggestions on this thread, but my approach is to use the flat black "Ernst" lock, or dental floss on connections in the wing tubes, and small "tie-wraps" for the excess wire in the fuse. There are some plastic square anchors that can be epoxied to the fuse side walls which have "tie-wrap" holes to use in pulling the excess wire against the sides. Right now I am using the "Ernst" flat lock connector for the trainer wing servo plug, and the fuse radio extension. There are other locks on the market which I also have but are a bit to bulky. I have just check some aero magazines, and do not see "Ernst" products mentioned; so you may have to check out the internet to find their flat black locks all though your local hobby shop may carry them.

If I can help you more, just e-mail me at: [email protected].
Old 06-27-2007, 03:18 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you can solder, the most reliable method is to cut the existing wire harness in two and splice in whatever length you need to eliminate any extra connectors. Sooner or later, any connector on a servo extension will start to corrode, the more humid the climate the worse the problem. Unless you periodically unplug and replug any extension to wear off the corrosion, you will eventually have a failure. If you insist on using extensions, make sure they are of good quality;i.e. gold plated pins and adequate wire gage. Avoid estensions when ever possible.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:31 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just wrap some tape around the 2 connectors. It works just as well as the "commercial" locks, but a lot cheaper. Who is going to see the connector lock once the wing is covered ???

As for the extra wire, wire/plastic tie-wraps work well as well as narrow strips of tape.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:48 PM
Crash Campbell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

I'm with Rodney. Solder wires to the custom length and there isn't any excess to tie up.

Cheers,

Colin
Old 06-27-2007, 07:02 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A little 1/2" heat shrink tube works well to keep them connected.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75049.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	712501  
Old 06-27-2007, 08:39 PM
flipstart

I like to keep the odds in my favor-cut the servo lead and add in appropriate length of wire, make good solder joints, use shrink tubing over each connection and then a larger diameter shrink tubing over the entire splice connection. Your leads will be correct length and no connectors to worry about that are hidden in the wing. Use heavy duty servo wire to minimize voltage drop. Also more cost effective than buying the servo extensions.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:57 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 293 Likes on 250 Posts

I have always had great luck using hit shrinkable tubing. I have never had one come loose.