Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Just Ordered My savage X 4.6

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 02:54 AM
Largedarb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Ordered My savage X 4.6

I just ordered my savage today, was wondering what the best upgrades are, meaning which should i do first haha... this thing sounds like it is already top of the line? hell 470 bucks it better be haha... but anyways? anyone able to tell me any mods i should upgrade with first? i was thinking about new shocks and springs, exhaust pipe, and header... so on, please fill me in with your ideas? what are the known parts to break on this beast
Old 07-04-2007, 03:03 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Just Ordered My savage X 4.6

Leave the shocks..

Top of the list should be:

1.) a good 5-cell receiver hump-pack(two is better - one for backup..)

2.) a new pipe - HPI polished would be a good start. The header is fine.

3.) the HPI wheelie-bar

IMO that's it for starters.. Break it in, test it out, etc.. After that probably first on the real "upgrade" list should be a stronger steering servo...
Old 07-04-2007, 07:47 AM
JQuest64

PatrickBW pretty much nailed it.

With the stock set up a hump pack is a must if you like to stop or have any sort of control in the air. The wheelie bar is a must have as well.
The stock pipe works pretty well, but an upgrade would not hurt.

I would recommend getting a spare body painted and ready to go, the stock hpi body is super thin and will be shredded in no time.

Good luck with the new rig, hope you love it as much as I love mine.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:19 AM
SAVAGEJIM

Another reasonably priced upgrade is to upgrade the steeing servo with a Hitec HS645MG. This is a very popular servo for Savage fans and it does the job way better than the stock HPI servo.

A very simple mod (actually, a precaution) is to put zip-ties on the engine head to help protect it from scratches for whenever you flip your truck over. Additionally, make sure you install the roll bar hoop, even if you have to cut the body to make it fit (I believe the X 4.6 RTR instructions tell you just where to cut the body to accomodate the roll bar hoop). These are not a 100% protection for protecting the engine head from roll over, they only help prevent some small and moderate scratches from ocurring. If you turn your Savage turtle and it skids upside down a fair distance, the plastic hoop will actually be pushed out of the way and the zip-tie straps will be sanded off by the asphalt, thus exposing your heatsink to scratches. So take care not to ever turn your Savage turtle. Upside-down is never a good thing, ever.

As for breaking stuff, the rest of the stock X 4.6 RTR is really tough. You will have to do some moderate to heavy bashing to actually break something. I would not worry about any other upgrades for now until you get into more heavier bashing activities; as you become accustomed to your Savage and get the feel of how it handles, you will eventually push it harder and harder. Just take your time; the Savage is a top heavy beast.