Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

powerhouse .26 and gear ratios

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 11:37 AM
toughitaliankid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default powerhouse .26 and gear ratios

I just dropped a Power House .26 in my Savage a few days ago. I was wondering what spur gear I should run with. The Savage I have was an original .21 with a 52 tooth spur. I tried a 49 tooth as well with the new motor but stripped the teeth after a bad bounce so I was unable to truly see the pros or cons. Anybody throw down the low down on the 2 sets of gears for the bigger motor. Originally was not interested in speed but rather wheelies so I wanted to keep the bigger spurfor torque, but can that .26 engine lift the front end up with the 49 toother. My experience did not lat long enough to see if it would. Thanks
Old 07-05-2007, 03:44 PM
myrcsupply

Default RE: powerhouse .26 and gear ratios

What clutch bell are you using right now? do you prefer that CB. The combo of the spur and clutch bell make up the first gear ratio for your truck and ultimately decide the overall speed/low end power of the truck.
it all depends on your setup. The engine will produce more power at different points in the RPM range depending on your setup.

If your looking for wheelies, use the 52tooth, which will give you more low end torque and less top speed. Along with that tune the engine to produce good power on the low end of the RPM range.

depending on how much power your engine is producing, you can pull wheelies with your 49. and still get good top speed runs.

The best thing to do would be to drop the 3 speed in, which gives you more low end power (smaller first gear setup) and a whole nother gear for top end speed.

Also check the HPIRacing website, they have a page that shows you the different cluchbell and spur combinations, and what one they recommend for each type of use and engine. Use them as a reference for what CB and spurs will work together. Then purchase a couple different ones to test out.

as for your stripped gear.

Check your engine mount screws, as well as your engine mount plate and brace's screws and make sure they are tite and locktited down. from there use the paper method to adjust your mesh correctly. that should stop the spur from being stripped so often.

also, on landings, let go of the gas... saves your spur alot of abuse
Old 07-05-2007, 04:47 PM
toughitaliankid

I killed my original 52 tooth spur on a bad flip that I believe jarred the motor affecting the gear mesh. After that I have gone through two 49 tooth spurs in less than 3 tanks of gas. I have locktited the mounts and used paper in the mesh when setting. I am not sure of the tooth count, but I am using the .21 original clutch bell. Could the .21's smaller bell produce a slloppy mesh with the smaller 49 tooth spur resulting in ripped off teeth. I don't want to go steel out of fear of destroying the internal gears.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:01 PM
myrcsupply

ORIGINAL: toughitaliankid

I killed my original 52 tooth spur on a bad flip that I believe jarred the motor affecting the gear mesh. After that I have gone through two 49 tooth spurs in less than 3 tanks of gas. I have locktited the mounts and used paper in the mesh when setting. I am not sure of the tooth count, but I am using the .21 original clutch bell. Could the .21's smaller bell produce a slloppy mesh with the smaller 49 tooth spur resulting in ripped off teeth. I don't want to go steel out of fear of destroying the internal gears.

No, that shouldnt be an issue. The mesh just needs to be set correctly.
Dont go with steel, your correct on that. just a bad idea.

maybe your mesh is just too loose.

what terrain are you driving on? are there many small pebbles being kicked up into the mesh?

you may want to take it down to your local shop and see if anyone can spot something if you have checked the above.

Look on HPI site for the clutch bell and spur gear combinations, and find out what bell you have on your truck right now. if you think that might be an issue.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:33 PM
toughitaliankid

How tight should I screw down the nut on the slipper? I know I really tightened that guy up out of fear that it would slip with the added torque from my new .26 I guess I might have been wrong overtightening th slipper. This a possibility?