Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

CA all over my new bird...HELP!

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

CA all over my new bird...HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 06:50 PM
bird-0f-prey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CA all over my new bird...HELP!

Hey guys been building a lovelly bird for the last 3 months ...Last night had a disaster with a bottle of ca leaking a 1 metre streak sown my plane and around onto the top. Didnt notice until it was too late....

I desperatly tried to rub it off with some alcohole (not bourben) but had no luck.

Does anyone know a substance/technique for removing thin CA from ultra coat without ripping it apart?

I feel so stupid for doing this after spending so much time on it. (Have you ever seen someone kick their own ass)

Thanks for any advice or shoulder to cry on :-)

I forgot to mention the type of bird/covering...its a Widlehare extra think its covered in ultracoat....

CHeers

Kingsley
Old 05-10-2007, 07:00 PM
alan0899

Default RE: CA all over my new bird...HELP!

G'day Kingsley,
Toothpaste mixed with a small amount of acetone, on a clean soft rag, will take CA off plastic covering. apply & rub, be sure to check on a part you can't see first, just to be safe.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:38 AM
camdyson

There is commercial CA debonder too, but beware - it dissolves more than just the CA sometimes!.....Good luck!
Old 05-13-2007, 09:44 AM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Acetone will do the trick. Use it with a soft cloth and gently rub the area. You may have to go over it a couple of times to ge off all the CA. I have had no problems with using acetone on Ultracote or Monokote.

I suggest doing this in a WELL VENTILATED area.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:49 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ditto to everything Campy said. Especially the Well Ventilated area bit. I would recommend sitting outside to do it.

And if you smoke - DON'T!
Old 05-14-2007, 10:45 AM
bluestratos

Acetone is the trick. Wet, almost dripping wet, a rag and let it sit on the surface for about 5-10 min if the glue is thick. You may have to repeat if it is really thick but it will come off. Of course if it is on anything but the covering you have to careful. Acetone will fog plastic and strip paint. Use in a well ventilated area as it flammable and hard on the old brain cells. Alcohol is used for epoxy, even cured epoxy will evently come off. I don't waste money on debonder, it is way to slow.

Regards,
Randy
Old 05-14-2007, 12:47 PM
Sport_Pilot

Nitromethane mixed with a bit of methanol will remove it, its the solvent that is used to mix the CA. Its also why you should not use CA around the engine compartment or any exposed place in the that will get fuel all over it.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:51 PM
Flying freak

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

Nitromethane mixed with a bit of methanol will remove it, its the solvent that is used to mix the CA. Its also why you should not use CA around the engine compartment or any exposed place in the that will get fuel all over it.
may i ask where you can buy pure nitormethan im interested in maybe mixing some fuel....
Old 05-14-2007, 07:10 PM
Live Wire

You can get nitro at you local drag raceing shop. AA fuel dragsters burn it
Old 05-15-2007, 08:37 AM
Sport_Pilot

Do a Yellow Page search on the web for VP Racing Fuel to see if there is a distributer in your area. If not do a google search for VP Racing Fuel and go to their site and call the nearest distributer.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:02 AM
Bird of Paradise
My Feedback: (4)

Acetone will do the trick as will any of the commercial debonders. For a cheaper alternative try nail polish remover which contains acetone and some oils to prevent it from evaporating too rapidly. Be aware that some coverings and many graphics are sensitive to acetone and other solvents. I would try a bit of the chosen solvent in an inconspicous place before attacking the CA. Assumeng that all is well the I suggest that you use a Q-tip and go slowly. I would not recommend toothpastes as these contain diatomaceous earth or other fine gritty material which may dull the surface of the covering.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:31 PM
bird-0f-prey

thx BOP (the other bop)

I thought toothpaste was a stupid idea anyway...sorry alan.

Iv tried acetone/two types of debonder , Zap very thin and some other thicker stuff which is almost like gel. I found nothing is perfect and i still have to use a bit of scratching from my nail to remove it. But the most effective and least destructive was the ZAP debonder its very thin and runs all over the place but seems to do the best job.

Note the acetone left a red residue on my cloth im guessing this is not a good thing since its red covering!

ive got probably 1/3 of it off after a couple ours of picking and debonding. its looking better but still want to kick my own ass for doing it...
Old 07-08-2007, 07:47 PM
jollyroger
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've used acetone before and found it leaves a film on the covering. Since then I discovered debonders from Bob Smith Ind. works very well, leaves no film and the covering is nice and shiney.