Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

AW Edge 540T ARF

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2002, 11:05 PM
beedriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AW Edge 540T ARF

Just got my 33% Edge 540T ARF and was wondering if anyone has found any problems with the kit or instructions. I found that the instructions are incorrect regarding the location of the dowel for the wing attachment bolt. The instructions say that it is located on the TOP of the wing, however, it is located on the BOTTOM of the wing approx. 11 3/8" from the root.

Also, has anyone put the in fuselage mufflers in one of these puppies. It looks to me as though I will have to open the bottom of the fuse, remove a significant amount of the F2 former and ad a former farther back to support the muffler mounts. Not a big project but I am a little concerned about removing the material from F2. I am also concerned about the heat generated in the fuse and its possible effect on the other components, especially the fuel and smoke tanks. Should I use some type of shielding? I already have the mufflers and would rather not spend another $300 for the canister mufflers but a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do. Then there is the question of all the air ie. prop blast and forward speed entering the fuse. Won't this tend to act like a big parachute and effect performance or blow the canopy hatch off?

Any help sure would be appreciated.

Thanks

Walt
"Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skills to do difficult things easily" ... Johann Van Shiller
Old 02-24-2002, 04:54 AM
JBH
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Default AW Edge 540T ARF

Hi Walt!

There's a pretty long review here:

http://www.rrcc.org/aw540t.html

He says one thing I really found amusing:

"I read through the Assembly manual and found it to be quite brief. However, one would assume that the person assembling this 33% plane has some idea of what they are doing since (1) they must know how to fly fairly well, (2) they have probably built planes in the past, and (3) they have just spent a lot of money based on the fact that they think they are good at (1) and (2)."

I looked at the manual... and then chucked in the trash. :-) I've only just started... you can check my website for current and future progress. I'm sure the plane will be great (I've already flown one) but I got kinda spoiled putting together a couple of H9 33% CAPs. Great instuctions and I really like the design and engineering. But, this will be fine... and easier than a kit. :-)

I'll do a complete review on the assembly and flight on my website when I'm done.
Old 02-24-2002, 06:12 AM
T_Hill

Default Canister instalation

Most canister instalations put the cans in a tunnel. This keeps them, their heat and any exhaust leaks out of the interior.
There is some info at

www.gsal.org

In the current section of the forum, web message board, there is a discusion on this plane and a link to some photos of a canister instalation.

I'm working on putting canisters into a Katana and a AW 39% 540T. I found checking various websites for ideas helpfull. Cactus Aviation and RC Showcase both have some info.

www.edge540.com

shows construction of a Carden Edge and some good photos of how they installed the canisters.

Tracy
Old 02-26-2002, 01:01 AM
beedriver

Default AW Edge 540T ARF

Thanks guys,
I think I have my answers.

Much appreciated!

Walt