Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Need help deciding on a Traxxas nitro vehicle

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Need help deciding on a Traxxas nitro vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 02:33 PM
christoptt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help deciding on a Traxxas nitro vehicle

Hi. Im finally getting into nitro. The Traxxas forums wouldn't let me join so I posted here. I am looking at the Traxxas T-MAXX 2.5R. I am interested in the Jato 3.3. I have driven electric cars before so I am pretty good at trying to control a 60 mph model car. I heard that Traxxas is giving away a free rechargeable battery kit with the T-MAXX 2.5R and 3.3. I saw that the 2.5R on Towerhobbies doesn't include it but the 3.3 does. Is the Jato a good truck for offroading? I am sort of leaning towards a 2.5R T-Maxx. I only want a traxxas truck. Thanks in advance
Old 07-19-2007, 02:36 PM
jkdv8
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Need help deciding on a Traxxas nitro vehicle

i would say maxx or a revo. the jato is only 2 wheel drive. o.k. for light off roading. i would say revo but thats because i have two maxx's.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:40 PM
christoptt

I will probably get the T-MAXX 2.5R. Shouldn't tower hobbies be including the charging system for the truck? What is the cheapest I can get a brand new one? link if you have a place.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:31 PM
cheech4

i rather get the revo, IMO you get the best of both world a fast truck that you can actually race and something thats 4wd and can do some serious bashing with.. i dont like the t-maxx heard alot of horror stories about bulkhead breaking, cars snapping in half and its so OLD, same design layout for years. the jato is just if you want to go fast straight. horrible in the dirt unless u like to spin out and it doesnt handle well on pavement either, BUT it will blow the doors off anything in a stright line, so if your drag racing i say jato. anything else dont go with the jato. BUT if your heart is set on getting a tmaxx over a revo then i say get it but dont get the jato.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:46 PM
DaveG55

Traxxas.com will only let you register if you have a paid-for email address. It will not accept any free emails, not even gmail.

As for the truck, the Revo 3.3 IS your best choice. The T-Maxx is ok but, IMHO, the Revo is better. I would not get a Jato if you're looing for an off road truck. It just won't do what either the Maxx or Revo will.

If you really want the 2.5 (which ever model truck) you should be ok but I believe (not 100% sure) that all of the 2.5's are being discontinued in favor of the 3.3 versions. Parts should be available for years and years though. Still, if it were me, I'd opt for the 3.3 version.

Tower has nothing to do with the battery/charger. Traxxas decides which trucks get the batter charger/battery and packages that in with the truck at the factory.

Tower is having a sale now, $30 off a $225 or more purchase and a $20 Tower gift certificate.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:22 PM
texaschilidog

With my experience in the traxxas category,if any I would choose the Revo.
I had a t-maxx,which only turned out to be a headache.
Bulkheads flying,engines dying,transmissions frying(hahah) it is not a good choice unless you want to spend more on hop-ups than you paid for it.
But I was stupid enough to drop money into it and all I have to show for it is a Sirio.23 sitting on the shelf...
Old 07-19-2007, 06:49 PM
hevyhitter

NEW TO RC AND YOU GUYS RECOMMEND THE REVO TO HIM. besides the battery on the revo that you cant remove and have to plug into the wall ***. and dont you even read his post. he wants something cheap. the revo is like 500 buks. retards. anyway the 2.5r is a beast dont lets any dissuade you to the 3.3. if your new you wont see the difference until you have driven a few other nitro rc's to actually see the speed you would of paid for. so take you time the 2.5 is a good starting place. the tmaxx is definetly better the the jato for off roading. the jato is really a street/parking lot basher.

again please read what the poster is after. i hate when your looking for somthing and people tell you otherwise. with the revo recommendation why dont you send him 300 buks aswell.

and in final. the post above me is assnine. your truck is only as good as the guy who takes care of it. he has those problems b/c of his innefficiany or unwillingness to fix them.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:37 PM
christoptt

I called my LHS and they say they only have the T-MAXX 2.5 in stock. not the T-MAXX 2.5R. Are the parts basically identical because Im probably going to get the plain old 2.5. Also, is it worth 360 dollars?
Old 07-19-2007, 08:52 PM
DaveG55

Tower hobbies has the 2.5.
$350-$30 - promotion- =$320 And the charger/battery kit is $80
Plus you get a $20 tower gift certificate

I still reccomend the Revo. It's only about $80 more than the T-Maxx w/ the battery kit, and that's with the 3.3 engine.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:03 PM
cheech4

if your going to by a traxxas MT, then buy the revo.. if not then look at the HPI savage or the losi LST2.. not trying to tell you what to do but stay away from the Tmaxx.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:55 PM
jkdv8
My Feedback: (1)

texaschilidog

But I was stupid enough to drop money into it and all I have to show for it is a Sirio.23 sitting on the shelf...
how much you want for it? has it been cared for? how many gallons etc.?