Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

New to R/C cars

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 09:46 PM
largebrowncat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to R/C cars

I've been into toy RC cars for years, but recently have gotten into hobby grade and competition RC cars. My question to you all is, how expensive is this hobby? I'm 17 years old, work part time, so im not really rolling in cash - but want to have some fun with higher quality RC cars. Also, what methods do you all use to fund the hobby?

Thanks a lot!
Old 07-20-2007, 10:01 PM
nothinbetr2do

Default RE: New to R/C cars

once you get over the initial cost of like 350-500, it's not that bad. unless you break stuff or up grade
Old 07-20-2007, 10:02 PM
IBrakeForNobody
My Feedback: (16)

This hobby isn't that expensive compared to others...AKA, guitars, golf, motocross, quads/ATVs, etc etc. I would recommend that you don't buy used stuff unless you really know what you're getting though. I found it to be cheaper to get a good deal (via coupon codes etc) on new trucks. I bought a HPI Savage 21 in May of last year, and it cost me $350. To this day, it has about $400 into it, and it looks about the same as it did when I bought it. The engine was shot, so I replaced it, the diffs were shot so I rebuilt them, the drive cups were all worn so I had to replace all of those, four bearings were rusted, the engine plate was bent a little, the enigne mount braces were bent slightly, the screws that secured them were stripped, and about 1000 other things that I don't want to remember right now. [&o] I bought a brand new Savage X 4.1 from Tower Hobbies for $383.98 shipped to my door, and I haven't had one single problem with it. I did do the "basic upgrades" but that was more want then need, except for the brakes.

Although I gotta say, cars are cheaper then planes. With cars, if you have a nasty crash, you just go to the hobby shop and pick the parts that you need in those plastic packages. Crash a plane, and you see your blood, sweat and tears (along with hours of work to make it just right) end up as balsa splinters in the dusty topsoil that burys your feet when you step foot in it. Yes, I do fly planes as well.

What are you looking to start out with? I started with a Traxxas Rustler as my first RC car (back in January 2005), but I started with planes about a year before with my Hobbico Avistar 40 in April 2004.

Also, you can ask us for help when you have questions about your RC, but I found that the best way is to try and figure it out. I've screwed up many glow fuel engines and broke stuff and stripped screws and bent stuff learning, but it's all part of gaining experience, and no one behind their monitor somewhere across the country can give you that.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:13 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It can be as expensive as you want it to be really, if you get the upgrade disease (I'm in the fargone stages of it). The investment in proper equipment and tools can be expensive as well. In my case, I had already been designing and building electric motors and generators for a few years so I already owned all of the machine equipment and lab supplies. Space is a consideration as well, having a clean open work area is very important.

And like I said about price, you can get a Mini LST or Micro T for $150 or less, and enjoy the fun of upgrading and modding for not much more, or you can get a Baja 5B for $1000 and spend $300 on an exhaust pipe.

Of course, I <3 my 1/5 scale gas powered cars the most, but I'm not sure if the fun is really 10x, but the price sure is.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:07 PM
kdz76

getting in at an entry level will be the biggest outlay of cash if you go nitro you can get away with a small stadium truck for probably $400.00 with some tools and fuel. Electric stadium trucks you can get away for about $350.00 with buying a descent charger and battery packs. The biggest problem I see at my track is guys want to go fast and get the "upgrade syndrome" they want to have bigger faster motors longer lasting more powerful batteries and end up spending tons of extra cash on these upgrades only to go back to the store and spend event more money on replacement A arms, turnbuckles and shocks. So if you get into the hobby enjoy and learn as you go dont go overboard from the start, as you progress so should your gear.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:46 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And you have to be able to afford repairs and replacements, even of stock parts.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:12 AM
nitro _ burner

ORIGINAL: largebrowncat

I've been into toy RC cars for years, but recently have gotten into hobby grade and competition RC cars. My question to you all is, how expensive is this hobby? I'm 17 years old, work part time, so im not really rolling in cash - but want to have some fun with higher quality RC cars. Also, what methods do you all use to fund the hobby?

Thanks a lot!
Personally, look at the 1/18 scale RC's. They're tougher than any RC i have, they're cheaper, can reach extreme speeds, parts cost less including hop-ups. And im 14 and i manage to maintain my mini RC's i also work part time.
have a look at the mini LST2, thats what i have, and its SOOOOO tough its not funny[:-]